Gidds v. The Drysuit Round I

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snooping?!?!? I was getting my tank filled....honest!:D

Just a few minor glitches to work through is all. Did I tell you how you missed the 5' vis and 50 degree temps at wetherill? Tried my 7mil hooded vest over the full suit.....it was toasty!....not to rub it in...ha!:wink: Air temps were frigid, though.

Gidds,

It takes a really good experience for me to openly recommend a company as a source for something as expensive as a dry suit can be; however, you may want to contact Richard at Divetank.com. I purchased my dry suit from Divetank and was absolutely astounded at the lengths Richard went to make sure my suit fit me properly.

When I dive the suit with my thickest undies on, it's feels more like diving a 3mm wet suit.

I can remember back when I didnt' want to hear the "just buy a dry suit" argument because of the inherent costs. But I must say, even the little diving I've done in it is quickly amortizing the costs . . . albeit not directly financially, but through comfort, safety and so forth.

You could probably get a last year's model dry suit and have the seals changed at a very reasonable cost.

the K

You did NOT have to be anywhere near the pool to get your tanks filled! *more scowling*
The Kraken- Thank you (and everybody else so far) for the suggestions. I shall be hunting around for a suit, I am totally hooked :D

I like my neoprene, more form-fitting -- tried a trilam first, didn't like the baggie feel. Different strokes for different folks...

I love my poseidon unisuit!!!
After years of diving bag suits(Dui and vikings)
They are great suits!!
Rick L

I'm kinda with Markfm on the neoprene.

I purchased the Bare XCD2 compressed neoprene, and the fit is fantastic!!!

I think, overall, that it exhibits the best characterists of both neoprene and tri-lam suits.

But then again, I'm a very, very new dry suit diver.

the K

Gidds:
Now I have to be able to pop the inflator hose off just in case the valve gets stuck and my suit is inflating. Now we have a problem. The average eight year old boy has bigger hands than me for starters. Ok with effort I can get the thing off bare-handed. However, with gloves it is just NOT happening. Grumble. I am told that if I want to get signed off for the drysuit thing I have to figure out how to get the hose off with my gloves on.

Many drysuit low pressure inflator hoses come with larger collars or winged tabs to assist in their removal with heavy gloves on. Did yours have these?

Here are some aftermarket ones manufactured by Deep Sea Supply:
http://deepseasupply.com/p1010250sm.jpg

Gidds,

I know from your previous posts that you are a poor college student... Are you considering a NEW drysuit? My wife was reading in a dive magazine just a few days ago, that many drysuits are available custom fit, at no extra charge (if you are buying new)

I would check out Bare or DUI's website, and get some more info along those lines.

or like rapidiver said... You can always dive in Florida on spring break or something like that.

Good Luck on your quest for dryness in the water.

I'm a poor grad student so I'm slightly less poor than a poor college student :wink: I am snooping around on divetank.com and I just looked at scubatoys and there are a couple of new suits I can afford. I am also going to look around locally to see what might be had for used suits I can see before purchasing. At the moment the immediate problem is finding a suit to do a little training in. I thought diving dry would feel funny and be somewhat ridiculous but I have since revised that opinion :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom