Gidds v. The Drysuit Round I

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds:
I'm a poor grad student so I'm slightly less poor than a poor college student :wink: I am snooping around on divetank.com and I just looked at scubatoys and there are a couple of new suits I can afford. I am also going to look around locally to see what might be had for used suits I can see before purchasing. At the moment the immediate problem is finding a suit to do a little training in. I thought diving dry would feel funny and be somewhat ridiculous but I have since revised that opinion :D

Check out this deal on this Dive Rite suit...

http://www.divesports.com/mall/diverite_thermal_905holidaypkg.asp

It comes with a free drysuit hood, gaiters, 200 gram Polartec Jumpsuit for & the Primaloft Shorty . All this for like $1275.

You can't beat this price, since typicall the drysuit alone runs $1600 normally
without all the acccessories.

Rick L:
Also with the unisuit you dont get that feet up feeling!
great suits right diesel298!!!
Rick L
damn straight

Diesel298:
damn straight

It did look pretty comfy...............all this talk is making me want one too!! Wow, and my 1/2 mil hasnt even arrived yet...

johnnyseko:
It did look pretty comfy...............all this talk is making me want one too!! Wow, and my 1/2 mil hasnt even arrived yet...

extreamly comfey.. almost swims like a wet suit. very warm ...
and just a little shot of air is all it takes to make it comfey...
hey the suits good enough for John Chatterton and Richie Kohler.
its gotta be good enough for me :)
right rick?

Gidds, Today i got my first dry suit, i got it from PG dive in Newton , MA.
They were very nice to me and the price was right, they even give you the instruction for free if you get the suit there, this weekend they are having a sale, so why not you check it out i'm sure you'll find something in your price range or maybe instead of a dry suit a semi-dry will do it?

Good luck, and is very nice to see people like you, with such a strong determination, i'm sure you'll find the way to keep diving.

With being a skinny little twerp you might look long and hard at Bare. I am 6'3" and 170lbs wet...male. With the size 11 boot. Bare was the only one that had a stock suit that would fit. Most others I needed something special because of my measurements. Something special= custom=more $$$.

I ended up ordering from Divetank and got the Tech HD Trilam and undies for just over $1,400...yes you can get cheaper suits.

Gidds:
THAT SAID the instructor recommended I not go with the neoprene, fearing I will need more undergarments than I can comfortably stuff in there or else I will be right back where I started: too cold. Opinions on this logic?

This seems off to me. I think that neoprene suits are warmer and more form fitting. In the summer time, they can be extremely warm, but that doesn't stop me- I just wear less underneath. I pretty much wore mine all summer long.

For as much as you want to dive longer, and as much as you've been *scowling* on this thread, please get a drysuit! :D

The downside to neoprene is the weight and the fact that they take longer to dry. That being said, I would still get another neoprene suit when my current one becomes a permanent wetsuit.

Good luck!

do it easy:
This seems off to me. I think that neoprene suits are warmer and more form fitting. In the summer time, they can be extremely warm, but that doesn't stop me- I just wear less underneath. I pretty much wore mine all summer long.

For as much as you want to dive longer, and as much as you've been *scowling* on this thread, please get a drysuit! :D

The downside to neoprene is the weight and the fact that they take longer to dry. That being said, I would still get another neoprene suit when my current one becomes a permanent wetsuit.

Good luck!
i agree..
if you think your not gonna get a neoprene suit. at least try one first if you can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom