Gidds v. The Drysuit Round I

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds

Contributor
Reaction score
Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
Now I know exactly WHY there are no other female divers around!
Ok so I did the drysuit-in-the-pool stuff just now. I arrive at the LDS to a room full of men who look rather concerned. Apparently there is no such thing as a drysuit that will fit me, at least not anywhere in the northeast. For those of you who have not met me I am fairly tall and pretty slim. They have managed to scare up a suit that will be ok for me to use in the pool but not one for open water stuff. Do I still really want to do this? Yes of course I want to do it, I'm the epitomy of stubborn and it is fricken' cold up here but I don't want to stay home, I want to go diving darn it!
So we go over drysuit features, how to work a drysuit, different kinds of drysuits for different things, what not to do with a drysuit, etc. Now the fun part; I have to put on the drysuit. It's a trilam suit with latex seals with the zipper across the chest so it's not too evil to put on. Since the suit is pretty huge on me I can't quite zip it all the way but no problem. The boots are also two sizes too big but oh well. There is some concern about the fact that I have a total chicken neck so I get to wear a lovely rubberband thingy just in case. Great. :rolleyes: NEXT I get to get in the water and get in my gear. The o-ring in the high-pressure inflator hose blows and gets replaced. Great. I'm wearing my usual rental Balance back-inflate and 16lbs of lead integrated. Fine. Now I get to figure out how to vent this suit that I am swimming in. Fun fun until my snoopy buddy walks in. He is sent away so that my undivided attention can be focused on venting. At least he didn't see me out of the water in the sasquatch suit. Ok I can vent. We talk about squeeze and what to do about it and then I get to lay on the bottom in the shallow end and see how I feel about wearng a drysuit. I have mildly floaty feet but not too awful. I swim the width of the pool then start to come back and the o-ring in my tank goes. Lovely! :shakehead O-ring gets replaced and now I know exactly what it sounds like when your o-ring blows. Now I get to go play in the deep end and figure out how not to feel like a shrink-wrapped piece-o-salmon and how to vent while ascending. Ok that's not so hard and bouyancy in a drysuit is kinda nice. Good. Swim around for awhile. Now the tricky part: stand on my head, turn upside down, get out of it. I have no idea why everybody thinks this part is so awful. No trouble at all, being upside down is rather fun and no water is getting in despite all the squirming and twisting I'm doing. Fine. Now I have to be able to pop the inflator hose off just in case the valve gets stuck and my suit is inflating. Now we have a problem. The average eight year old boy has bigger hands than me for starters. Ok with effort I can get the thing off bare-handed. However, with gloves it is just NOT happening. Grumble. I am told that if I want to get signed off for the drysuit thing I have to figure out how to get the hose off with my gloves on. Additionally I now have to hunt around and see if there is a small rental suit anywhere in the state before I can do my two open water dives :frown: Now I get to examine my personal finances and figure out how on earth I am going to be able to afford a drysuit since renting one is just not going to work *much scowling*:frown: Maybe I'll rob a few convenience stores for starters because I am NOT staying home, I want to go diving!

Admire your determination. I'm sure you'll find a suit that fits other than custom. Every dry suit manufacturer is different with different feels. I wouldn't limit yourself to the manufacturer your LDS carries. I'm happy with my DUI CF200 compressed neoprene but still am more comfortable diving wet over dry. I'll dive dry now because have one. Before did, had no problem diving wet this time of year. They key was staying out of wind and diving sunny days with low wind. Makes all the difference topside during surface intervals. I was diving with a hooded Bare 7mm and a 3 mm vest underneath. I'm lucky as hands don't get cold underwater (dive with mitts) It's topside that sucks. this weekend is actually looking good. Favorable light winds. It would be better if sun out instead of partly cloudy. I'm not counting on good vis given high winds today.. I too have to get out.

As you know, I'm a cold weather wimp. This is what I would do instead of buying a drysuit and diving in the snow: :frosty:

1. Buy a $120 nonstop roundtrip ticket to Florida on Southwest http://southwest.com/ out of TF Green and dive the where the weather is actually nice. While you're there check out World Water Sports for some great prices on gear.

2. Wait 4 months until spring

Hey, I think I'll take my own advice!:sunny

*scowls at rapidiver and splashes cold New England water in his general direction*
I cannot dive wet. I have to get out in 20 minutes, it's very annoying. I felt a little chilly in the nice 80F pool wearing running pants and a tee under the drysuit. I'm sure I could find a suit that fit if I had a zillion dollars :frown:

i got lucky and found one on eBay. The seller was in Ct. so was able to try it out. it was a custom (XL large top half and large bottom.) $850 vs. $2,500 he paid. If you take care of them, they last forever.

Thanks for the link rapidiver :)

Being tall and slim should not be that difficult to fit. I would be surprised if there is not an off-the-rack suit made that fits you, other than the seals and boots of course. As already suggested, don't limit yourself to only the brand that your current LDS sells, but try on others if you can. Also, your LDS may not have every stock size in stock for you to try... it's been my experience that most shops only keep the most popular *men's* sizes in stock. We women usually have to look harder! If ordering a new suit, you should be able to order it with the correct sized boots and seals. I have yet to have or hear of a good experience when ordering a custom sized suit. Mine took 3 tries to get close, then I recently found one on ebay that was supposed to be custom for another gal, but didn't fit her..... It fits me way better than my own "custom" suit ever did :rolleyes:

Snowbear:
it's been my experience that most shops only keep the most popular *men's* sizes in stock. We women usually have to look harder!

The suit I was using was borrowed from the least beasty male in the shop. *scowls at all the beasty male New England divers* I will be hunting around for something that does not leak and that I am not swimming in. At the moment not being able to do the hose gloved is bothering me more than finding a suit that fits.

Back
Top Bottom