Gift for new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wukong

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm new to diving and new to this forum as well.. Didn't know where to post this, so sorry if i posted this in the wrong section..

I've just completed my BOWC and AOWC, and i'm totally addicted to diving! Through the sharing of my diving experience, i've interested some of my friends into taking up diving too...

Now that they are going to take up diving, I am thinking of giving them a gift, sort of like a welcoming gift into the world of diving..

However, i am not looking at gears as i believe that only you yourself can choose the gear that fits comfortably and is to your own liking. Plus, I am looking at something inexpensive..

Anyone got any ideas? I saw the thread "If i should die while diving" by uncle peg and thought the poem would make a great gift.. On the other hand, i didn't want to scare away new divers.. can someone please offer some help? thanks!

I would think a slate would make a nice gift - it was one of the first things I bought so that I could communicate underwater and write down depth, time, location, psi remaining, etc. before I put it into my logbook.

It's practical, but it may not be very "special"

A small pelican box? always useful, like for your wallet and cell phone, cert card. I love the clear plastic dry bags...around 12 dollars. You could personalize it with a microfiber towel, anti-fog, etc....like a gift basket.

A flotation key chain...I could have used one of those.

A cool local fish ID book!....write a personal note inside.

I would slurge a little and buy them an SMB. That could save their life some day.

Welcome to Scuba Board!

slurge? are you drowning? yea, thats a great idea.

Something I bought myself that pleased me enormously was a medium-sized toolbox -- one of those with snap open compartments in the lid, a tray and a deeper compartment inside. This is my save-a-dive kit box. It's amazing how much I can fit in it -- o-rings, snaps, wrenches, spare hoses, straps, line, carabiners . . . and so far, almost all of it has come in handy at some point.

If not the box, our local dive shops all carry some kind of pre-packaged save-a-dive kit, usually with spare straps and some o-rings. If you dive enough, you're going to need some of this stuff. I think that would be a great gift.

Diver Dennis:
I would slurge a little and buy them an SMB. That could save their life some day.

Welcome to Scuba Board!

I think that's kind of like buying a woman a vacuum cleaner for her birthday. Yes, an SMB is important and your friends will need them, but that's why it is not a good gift.

Go with something that is not essential and that will increase their enjoyment of diving. Slate, Fish ID books or cards, maybe a book of diving tips. Or something completely frivolous that they will use when not diving that says "I am a diver."

I got a Diver down sticker and a license plate frame from a friend when I got certified. It looks cool on the car, and I guess since I passed everything I deserved it, but I didn't think it was overly appropriate at the time to put it on the car. I felt I needed to do at least a few dives to "feel" like a diver before I stuck it on the car, but my wife insisted, said she wanted to take a picture and send to the friend, so I releneted...something to think about...

At any rate...the best gift? GIFT CERTIFICATE to the LDS! Any denomination will be appreciated TRUST ME! there's always something I can pick up from the shop.

Welcome to the fun!

TSandM:
Something I bought myself that pleased me enormously was a medium-sized toolbox -- one of those with snap open compartments in the lid, a tray and a deeper compartment inside.

That sounds like a great idea. I have one of those that I carried around when I was doing network punchdowns. Sounds like a new good use... thanks for the idea!

Buoyant, that's funny . . . the ONLY bumper sticker I have ever put on any car I have ever owned is the Diver Down sticker I got from our LDS after I got certified. I was so proud of having done this, I went right out and put it on the car, and it's still there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom