Gilboa Quarry New Year's Day 2007 Who's Going?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Notso_Ken:
Ohh, so just like there's Military Specification rain levels, there's scuba cert quality snow?????

Ken

Exactly! :eyebrow:
Ber :lilbunny:

So I’ve been getting poked :1poke: to post a trip report for our holiday adventures. Correct me if I’m wrong but shouldn’t it be the responsibility of the people actually on the trip to report on it rather than the tour guide? :wink: Anyway, I got to play host to a couple of SB’ers and show them what Midwest warm water diving was all about. (See, being from Canada the last time they were out diving the water at the surface was 32° and the only thing preventing it from freezing was the wind, that’s why the 39°- 44° water we encountered would be considered warm!). Mike and Julie arrived from the great white north at my house mid-day on the 28th, we chatted for a while and then went to Lake 16, a local mud hole. This lake is about 15 minutes from my house so I’ve been in it a fair amount and have never seen the visibility this good, probably in excess of 20, and maybe pushing 30 feet. It’s usually about 5 feet on a good day. Water temp was a balmy 39° degrees :ice: as it usually is there and we got in a short dive. Julie was somewhat new to a dry suit so Mike and I worked with her on her skills. Like may new to dry, she had a rough go of it but we certainly got a dive in.
The next day, 12/29, again back at the Lake 16, I swapped thermals with Julie since the ones she had brought were … shall we say … "lofty". (Note: I will disavow any and all pictures of me in these thermals! :paranoid: ... and I thought my USIA bumble-bee outfit was bad ... and where else can you openly admit to swapping underwear with a member of the oppisite sex and have it seem realitivly normal) Once we got her weighting adjusted for the reduced loft of my thinsulate thermals (read lawn dart in the muck) she did fairly well in the dry suit, that is until the back side of her inflator valve popped off and her suit flooded (Murphy is hard at work on this gal!). So apparently even a Canadian wet suit divers get chilled in flooded shell suits (wuss) Since Julie sat out the next dive Mike and I were able to venture a bit further along the course. Being the local guy and having probably 10 or so dives in at that lake, when Mike signaled the turn around point I acknowledged and continued on the course since I "knew" the loop was bringing us back. :11doh: Well, I never claimed navigation to be my area of expertise but what a way to make a good impression on new dive buddies! Anyway, it all worked out just fine and we went out to visit a LDS, get some fills, and grab a fantastic dinner at a local micro-brewery.
Saturday, 12/30, we decided to take it easy and Mike had to take off to meet up with his family and friends in Ontario. Julie and I went to a local mall and then headed off that evening toward Gilboa for the New Years Eve/Day diving adventure.
New Years Eve we got to Gilboa early in the afternoon and met up with Tony. Most people, after the dry experiences she had would have given up but not Timex girl! I had explained to Tony earlier that we would be spending the first couple of dives working on Julie's dry suit skills and she wasn't at all daunted by the previous mishaps. It's a good thing too since we must have left Murphy back in Michigan. I don't know if it was the massive crowds (we were the only 3 there) or the day off but she did a fantastic job, it was like a completely different diver! :clapping: The best part was, for the first time since this adventure began, she actually enjoyed the dive. Having never been to Gilboa and having never had better than 10' visibility before this trip, she says she suffered from shiny object syndrome. I don't know what it was but it was absolutely hysterical to see her dart from one thing to another with the giddiness of a school girl. I didn't realize it was possible to laugh into your regulator! Well anyway, we got a second dive in that went just as well as the first and then got things set up for the midnight dive. I
We met up with Tony for dinner. As he drove, and we were looking we saw the steak place (don't remember the name) so Tony suggested we go there. It wasn't until after we were in and waiting for a table that he decided to inform us that he was a vegetarian. Didn't slow him down but still, had to laugh at that one!
We got back to Gilboa about 11, New Years Eve and were splashing in about a quarter to 12. Even though Julie had some very positive experiences in the dry suit, being only her 2nd night dive she thought and I agreed that it was best if she go wet as that was where her comfort zone was. (Crazy Canuk) So yes, we did dive into the New Year and were the very first ones to be diving Gilboa in 2007. (Didn't save on the paperwork mind you but still) At this point I want to say my hat is off to Mike Williams of Gilboa for letting us do this, say what you will about him, I think it was really cool of him to let us open the place up and do this dive. I personally am hoping it will become an annual tradition since I can't think of a better way to start the new year.
Since we were up late last night we didn't roll into Gilboa until about noon. We met up with Barracuda and got our 07 paperwork filled out then went diving. (I will say I thought it was pretty funny when I introduced myself to Barracuda and he said he knew who I was based on my avatar - I guess the kids do look like dad after all - so much for the mail man theory!) Tony went and did his deep deco work with Hagen and that crew and Julie and I went and did our own thing. Again, going wet, she was in her element and we both had a great time checking out all the features and even feeding the fish. We did get to see Barracuda's movie although we were underwater during the world premiere hence why we probably missed most everyone else. I am a bit confused, since the "blizzard" that has been referenced must have happened while we were under the water since the trifle dusting I saw wouldn't even constitute snow here in Michigan. Well, we were the last divers to leave that day around 5 making us the first ones in and the last ones out for the first day of this year.
On the way to Detroit Metro, to drop her off, we stopped by Huron Scuba (not my regular LDS but a great bunch of folks!) and she was recognized by one of the guys there as the red-head in the Elmer Fud hat he had seen at Gilboa the day before. Now is that really how you would want to immortalized? It could be worse though, he obviously never saw Lambie.
So, for 5 days of diving I logged 9 dives, Julie 8 and Mike 3. The bottom temp was 39° at Lake 16 and 43°-44° at Gilboa. Air temp, while unseasonably warm, was still colder than any sane person should have been diving in - don't really know what it was. I would have liked to meet up with Ber and the rest of you but maybe next time.

Top 10 things I learned this "trip":
10 - Barracuda puts together a heck of a video
9 - Diving into the new year is a good thing and should be repeated
8 - Canadian divers can get cold, it just takes a lot to do it!
7 - Canadian diver are crazy!!! but a BLAST to dive with! OK, not that crazy - they don't export their good beer
6 - Back flips should be part of Open Water training.
5 - Tony's a heck of a DM
4 - Mike from Gilboa is really a decent guy :shocked:
3 - Julie has a heck of a right cross (just kidding ... she's actually left handed) :no
2 - One word, "Lambie" :11:
And the Number One thing ....
.... It's really good to take a chance, make new friends and dive with them!

From where the mud meets the muck - this has been a SB trip report.
Eric

Excellent trip report! Yes, Lambie is quite a sight to see! It's can be used as drysuit underwear and a Halloween or Easter costume. I suppose an Easter dive is in order.

It was a pleasure diving with both of you, especially the New Year's night dive. The name of the restuarant was Dakota's- they also have a nice selection of beers from the Great Lakes Brewery- the beer of choice for Great Lakes divers! That beer that Julie smuggled in from Canada would be a fine choice as well. :D Another highlight was breakfast at the Waffle House- I like mine scattered, covered, smothered, and it was a treat to start off the year with a good breakfast.

Thanks to you two and Mike for making it all happen.

We had a great time! Had a blast trying the new drysuit!

do it easy:
The name of the restuarant was Dakota's- they also have a nice selection of beers from the Great Lakes Brewery- the beer of choice for Great Lakes divers!

It's actually called "Steve's Dakota Grill" there's a possiblity my husband, myself, Wrec-n-Caver and a couple others MIGHT have been "thrown" out of there many moons ago...just a rumor of course :D

Ber Rabbit:
It's actually called "Steve's Dakota Grill" there's a possiblity my husband, myself, Wrec-n-Caver and a couple others MIGHT have been "thrown" out of there many moons ago...just a rumor of course :D

sounds like a rumor that needs additional amplification...........always like a good diving yarn whether it be in the water or the pub

do it easy:
they also have a nice selection of beers from the Great Lakes Brewery- the beer of choice for Great Lakes divers!

Dortmunder Gold is one of my favorite lagers and Edmund Fitzgerald is a damn fine porter. Nosferatu is nice and spicy. I have no idea what it would be classified as but I wouldn't turn one down if it was offered to me :)

I had quite an experience with Nosferatu- The first time I had it, I was drinking first, asking questions later. I got a few pulls into my beer and I felt a little sideways... then I read the label... It's unreal how a beer can be so strong and so tasty at the same time... Makes me thirsty right now. The next day, I went beer golfing with my brother- he drove the balls and I drove the cart- best round of golf I never played! :D

Sledge:
Dortmunder Gold is one of my favorite lagers and Edmund Fitzgerald is a damn fine porter. Nosferatu is nice and spicy. I have no idea what it would be classified as but I wouldn't turn one down if it was offered to me :)

I'll second that on the Edmund Fitzgerald! It's even better than my home brews. (speaking of which, one of these days I need to brew up a batch!)

Ken

Back
Top Bottom