Girl seriously injured in shark attack off Florida’s Gulf Coast, officials say

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
She was snorkeling for scallops. I'd guess a bull given the bite and reported size. Could be a tiger.

Pic is not for those who are faint at heart.

290912988_10219400771643819_174468517074736722_n.jpg
[/SPOILER]

If that photo is legit, wow. It’s amazing she survived that injury. She’ll lose that leg I’d assume. Poor thing.
I read the leg was amputated. I can't confirm the photo, but it was included with the story on a different social media website.

Normally I'd say it would be unlikely, perhaps a violation of HIPPA laws for an EMT to snap that photo in what appears to be the back of an ambulance, and then share it without the patient's consent, but we live in an era where three clicks in 30 seconds on a phone and it can be captured and shared. The ease of the process makes poor judgment all too common. Of course the victim could have authorized it or her brother took the photo.

The lesson here though is quick action by her brother and someone having a tourniquet saved her life.

Wow, that is sad. Glad she survived. Also good someone who knew how to apply the tourniquet was so close.

that's insane. Its crazy how the odds of being in the wrong place at the wrong time can completely change your life. Hope she will be okay

Again, I think the big lesson here is that tourniquet saved her life and everyone should have one in their kit. It is awful what happened to her and hopefully they were able to avoid taking her leg at the hip.

As for the picture, it's pretty rare we get a glimpse like this at the damage a shark can do. So it's understandable the picture itself would create some discussion.

As for the picture, it's pretty rare we get a glimpse like this at the damage a shark can do.
That picture may well have me selling all of my dive gear.
I can't confirm the photo, but it was included with the story on a different social media website.
But who knows where it came from?

This newscast says she is expected to make a "full recovery."

Hm. I wouldn't call getting your leg amputated a 'full recovery.'

I looked at the report @CuzzA linked for us, searching for mitigating factors associated with shark attacks. From the article:

"The attack occurred Thursday afternoon off Keaton Beach, according to a Taylor County Sheriff’s Office news release.

The 17-year-old girl had been looking for scallops in the water with her family when a 9-foot shark wrapped its jaws around the girl’s thigh, according to statement from her family."

So it was in the afternoon, not early morning, evening or night, when light levels are lower and risk might be thought higher. Useful info.

Any idea roughly what water depth a snorkeler or free-diver might dive for scallops in? It'd be interesting to know at what depth she was attacked. Even if at the surface, it might impact the odds of a bull vs. tiger shark perhaps?

Anyone got an idea what is typical water visibility for that area?

I'm curious as to whether the shark could see her clearly. I get that not every case of shark attack fits the 'mistaken identity due to poor viz.' stereotype that's popular.

Hm. I wouldn't call getting your leg amputated a 'full recovery.'

I looked at the report @CuzzA linked for us, searching for mitigating factors associated with shark attacks. From the article:

"The attack occurred Thursday afternoon off Keaton Beach, according to a Taylor County Sheriff’s Office news release.

The 17-year-old girl had been looking for scallops in the water with her family when a 9-foot shark wrapped its jaws around the girl’s thigh, according to statement from her family."

So it was in the afternoon, not early morning, evening or night, when light levels are lower and risk might be thought higher. Useful info.

Any idea roughly what water depth a snorkeler or free-diver might dive for scallops in? It'd be interesting to know at what depth she was attacked. Even if at the surface, it might impact the odds of a bull vs. tiger shark perhaps?

Anyone got an idea what is typical water visibility for that area?

I'm curious as to whether the shark could see her clearly. I get that not every case of shark attack fits the 'mistaken identity due to poor viz.' stereotype that's popular.
Agreed, full recovery is a stretch if the reports they amputated her leg are true. FWIW, I believe in terms of this case when they are talking about saving her leg I think they are talking in the context of trying to save a portion below her hip so she could maybe have some sort of prosthetic versus taking the leg at the hip.

The reports I read said 5 ft deep somewhere off Steinhatchee, which is the Nature Coast of West Florida and the Steinhatchee River dumps out into the Gulf there.

Your typical scalloping depths down here are 2ft to 15ft. Just depends on where they're concentrated in the sea grass flats. Probably similar up there. Given the environment and river mouth, I would lean toward a bull since they're a more coastal species you would expect to see on grass flats near rivers.

Viz could be milkshake to crystal clear depending on weather and rain. We've had a lot of rain recently, but here viz has been pretty good. Not sure about that area. The Steinhatchee River is a black water river.

The shark apparently bit her twice, so I don't think a simple exploratory bite fits in this incident.

Back
Top Bottom