Girl seriously injured in shark attack off Florida’s Gulf Coast, officials say

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that bite is especially bad in the photo, but here's some similar examples of bites and the reconstructive surgery that followed. Pretty impressive work. I'm sure the victims gave consent to be featured on this website.

* Edit. Yep, included.

PATIENT CONSENT
The patient provided written informed consent for the publication and the use of their images.

aps-2016-01991f4.gif

aps-2016-01991f8.gif

I think that bite is especially bad in the photo, but here's some similar examples of bites and the reconstructive surgery that followed. Pretty impressive work.
That's impressive, but so much more than mentioned in the news...
"The nerve on the back of the thigh was severely damaged, her father wrote in a statement on social media."

That's impressive, but so much more than mentioned in the news...
Don, you've been posting news accounts about dive accidents on this site for years, you should know as well as anyone to question what they write.

That said, I'm not sure what articles about the incident you have read, but many are using the terms "devastating, gruesome and horrific" to describe the bite she suffered. Her father's update doesn't sound optimistic.

From the account of her brother we're talking about a 9 foot shark that bit her more than once. Even an exploratory bite from a shark that size is going to be devastating. Let's apply some of the marine knowledge we have ascertained from being divers.

I have seen bull sharks (asuming that was the species) that size while diving. They are incredibly intimidating when they get that big, damn near have the girth of a compact car, a mouth two feet wide with more teeth than any species, and the most powerful bite force of any shark species. It's just not that much of a stretch to think that animal can't do that.

I think that bite is especially bad in the photo, but here's some similar examples of bites and the reconstructive surgery that followed. Pretty impressive work. I'm sure the victims gave consent to be featured on this website.

* Edit. Yep, included.

PATIENT CONSENT
The patient provided written informed consent for the publication and the use of their images.

aps-2016-01991f4.gif

aps-2016-01991f8.gif
Very impressive reconstruction indeed!

Don, you've been posting news accounts about dive accidents on this site for years, you should know as well as anyone to question what they write.
Yeah, but I still doubt that photo is her.

The latest update clairifies a lot.

It sounds like the initial surgery was to stop blood loss, repair blood flow and nerves to the lower half of her leg to use for reconstruction.

The second surgery was to clean up and remove dead tissue.

On Tuesday they will amputate the leg above the knee, take the lower half tissue they saved from their work on the first surgery and use it to reconstruct her thigh so that she will be able to keep the leg and be able to use a prosthetic.

Given the extent of the damage this is pretty amazing work and explains why they did the surgery to restore blood flow to the lower leg. Brilliant.

They state her entire quadricep was taken by the shark so I believe the photo may very well be from this incident.

A post was made that it couldn't be her because the person in the photo is overweight. I don't see this at all, rather what the photo illustrates is how tight you should cinch down a tourniquet. And naturally without any tendons and muscle holding anything together the flesh is going to look inflated. Not to mention blood pooling in tissue.

The latest update clairifies a lot.

It sounds like the initial surgery was to stop blood loss, repair blood flow and nerves to the lower half of her leg to use for reconstruction.

The second surgery was to clean up and remove dead tissue.

On Tuesday they will amputate the leg above the knee, take the lower half tissue they saved from their work on the first surgery and use it to reconstruct her thigh so that she will be able to keep the leg and be able to use a prosthetic.

Given the extent of the damage this is pretty amazing work and explains why they did the surgery to restore blood flow to the lower leg. Pretty brilliant.

They state her entire quadricep was taken by the shark so I believe the photo may very well be from this incident.

A post was made that it couldn't be her because the person in the photo is overweight. I don't see this at all, rather what the photo illustrates is how tight you should synch down a tourniquet. And naturally without any tendons and muscle holding anything together the flesh is going to look inflated.

Thanks for the follow-up - it does support that the photo is likely of her leg. Hopefully, all goes well with the planned surgeries.

I think it’s pretty safe to say that the picture is real and that whoever took it did not have permission to share it…from stepdad’s FB
“Nothing more disrespectful and unprofessional than a private ambulance service taking photos of a minor in their ambulance and then sharing pictures with their friends and social media”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom