Giving an 8 year old a "taste" of scuba.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frosty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey folks my wife and I diddn't have a TV for awhile so we have a bunch of kids
8,10.12.13 and 15.
They are all keen swimmers/snorklers.
The older kids are doing a Kids DSD dive to see how they feel and then junior OW if they are happy and competent.
This leaves the 8 year old.
Where we are planning to do this diving we have access to a sheltered lagoon that at its very deepest is 2.0m deep but mostly 1.5m.
I did think to give him a taste of what diving scuba was about that I could take him out and he and I surface swim and he breaths using my octi then mayee a sink to the bottom when its 1.0m . Given it is shallow and calm water that I can stand up in if he's not happy or is getting into trouble.
Other than the risk to his ears of diving is there reason not to do this?
Please don't flame me here guys -The very reason I'm asking the question is that I don't ever want to put my kids in undue risk.

If I recall correctly a youngster died in the US last year from an overexpansion injury while in a pool scuba session. I have read (I can't cite the source) that rising without exhaling from a depth of 4 feet (say 1.2 metres) can be enough to cause an overexpansion injury.

No flames, but I have never let my grandchildren breathe off my gear even in the pool. When they're old enough to learn and really want to, that will be fine, but it will be in the traditional way of beginner training.

-Bryan

alternatively:
There are sanctioned pool programs available for 8-year-olds. PADI calls it BubbleMakers. SSI calls it Scuba Rangers. SDI calls it Future Buddies.

I have a 4.5' deep pool and my son has been "Diving" it since he was 5. Bigest problem is you need a small tank, an aluminum 30 works fine, and getting a back pack to fit, get an old plastic USD or DACOR one.

As for regs, he has used most of my regs but likes the DA AQUA MASTER the best as the bubbles are behind him. He is now 8 years old and the DA is 53..........

Like eponym said, 4ft or 1.2m is the minimum threshold for an lung over-expansion injury.
Whether a kid should partake in scuba is up to their maturity level. They have to understand the risks in involved with it. Not just recite the risks but actually understand it.

Going off on a side note, I learned in my psychology class that kids under 11 generally don't have the decision making skills to take into account all possible outcomes of an action (hypothetical reasoning). You may tell them one thing but they may not think deeply about what that means in the short and long run.
For instance you say, "hold your breath and you'll get hurt". They may recite that but won't think about what that entails. Is it a hospital visit, a life long disability, death? Can he understand what death means in terms of his existence? Even more will he remember this one rule throughout your little adventure?

I don't really know what to tell you. I don't like the idea personally, not knowing your kid.

hey thanks for the replies. To offer a bit of a profile of the boy concerned. Youngest child so often finds he's expected to be able to do what others can do.
He rides a 3 gear Honda offroad motorbike with skill and I feel caution. He isn't of the full throttle everywhere type mentality.
In the bike world kids fall into two groups.Those that listen and those that find out the hard way. This lad is of the former group.

Have 3 kids my own. 13, 8, and 6. We are going to enroll my 13 year old this summer in intro to scuba class at the dive resort when we are on vacation. My 8 year old will have the option for bubble makers from PADI if she wants.

Even if I was a master scuba diver, dive master, or even if I was a dive instructor, unless I had lots of experience teaching kids I would leave the interaction up to someone else who was professionally trained.

As the previous post mentioned, there are multiple teaching societies that cater to younger students.

BTW, when I tried teaching my own kids to ski it was a failure. They whined and cried. I even tried to get them to do a drill I found helpful when I was learning to ski. Then I bit the bullet and hired an instructor. She had the do the exact same drill, only this time no whining and no tears. Let some someone else do the training.

Besides, you don't want the responsibility or guilt if something goes wrong.

Good luck, I can't wait until my kids can be my scuba buddy (but only if they want!)

Fun and safe diving

Like eponym said, 4ft or 1.2m is the minimum threshold for an lung over-expansion injury.
Whether a kid should partake in scuba is up to their maturity level. They have to understand the risks in involved with it. Not just recite the risks but actually understand it.

Going off on a side note, I learned in my psychology class that kids under 11 generally don't have the decision making skills to take into account all possible outcomes of an action (hypothetical reasoning). You may tell them one thing but they may not think deeply about what that means in the short and long run.
For instance you say, "hold your breath and you'll get hurt". They may recite that but won't think about what that entails. Is it a hospital visit, a life long disability, death? Can he understand what death means in terms of his existence? Even more will he remember this one rule throughout your little adventure?

I don't really know what to tell you. I don't like the idea personally, not knowing your kid.

Sorry, but I just don't agree there. I think there are just as many kids that age who are capable. I teach kids from age 10. They take the class with adults and they are usually right there with pertinent questions and right answers faster than the adults. These kids know the rules and understnad them. Better, they can explain Why the rule exists. They can because I teach them. I don't just tell them to do it. I do, however, carefully interview them and make sure that they are capable of being an independent student/diver before they are allowed in the class. Those who have not worked out have been made to hold off until they are ready.

Kids, like adults, are individuals.

To the OP, as an instructor, I will tell you not do that because it is against my standards. But you can drop them in a Future buddies or Scuba Rangers class. They will love it. My own kids did. In the meantime let the little one snorkel.

Let him snorkel around with it.

Edited to Add: If you feel you have to ask if it is a good idea, then it probably isn't.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom