Question Glove and pee systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From doing tons of research and actually following up with details instead of just "this is better" or "this sucks".
Brass zipper can be more durable, but it has to lay flatter. If you are a commercial diver, always have surface support you trust, backmounted brass is a very good way to go.
The plastic zippers are more flexible and can survive in a front mount installation better than a brass zip can.

Which is better? Depends on what you are doing. If it were a daily use commercial application I would be doing back zip in brass. But I dive recreationally, self donning, and for that I do plastic front zip. I may not get as many cycles out of the zip as a brass zip, but I will not damage the brass zip in a front mount use either. The added flex of the plastic will add life over brass in the front zip.

Large pockets are always a win.

I'm new to dry suits and I've been spending some quality time on the Seaskin website to kit out what I want, I mostly have everything down to what I want, but I have a few questions:

1. I was thinking I'd get the Sitech peevalve, but maybe I should get the LM tinkle? I'd be open to hear about pee valves, because I can't tell the difference between any of them, except for price! I will be getting one
Trigon valve requires no further action after plumbing in. But it's mostly personal prefference
2. Glove systems... I'm confused by a couple things:
a. I was thinking I'd get the Kubi Fitted dry cuff system, do I need the Neo Kubi Ring Covers? I don't understand what they are.
b. some people say the sitech oval cuff rings + rolock 90s are better, and I'm open to considering that as an option, but I dont really understand why one might be better than the other, or how to pick. Rolock is twist lock, Kubi and Ultima are push on. Rolock is almost impossible to accidentally twist off
c. others say SHOWA720s are the way to go, do those fit with the sitech oval cuff rings, if I went with 720s, would I not get rolocks? Gloves are independent of the glove system itself.
d. do I need to get extra wrist seals in case things go bad, like neck seals? Prefferably, both neck and wrist seals

3. hood, do I get a hood built in, buy something or what? Do not go for built in hood

4. I was going to just get two regular sized bellows pockets, but there are these expedition pockets, why are those better? No one ever said: I have too much space in my pockets. Other than that, expedition is velcro, while the smaller ones are zipped. Although, expedition pocket has a small zipped pocket on its flap.

5. I read here that people complaining about the braces (suspenders) not working well, do the larger brace help?
Yes. Still you will need to do some work on them.
If you want to know what I've settled on, in case you have opinons:

Red and black, with red stitching
Telescoping torso system
Main body dry suit zip cover (red)
Quick neck system with siflex seal
DIR dump valve position
Sitech Valve system including hose (not exactly sure what this is for) It's an inflator hose for your drysuit. Even though it works too, your BCD inflator hose should stay on your BCD.
Compressed neoprene socks
Seaskin braces pocket for 25mm elastic (sometimes you gotta have your valuables with you and waterproof)
Knife attachment patch on right calf, inside seam
Trilobyte Eezecut on my left forearm Think about putting EEzycut on your waist. You want to be able to reach your cutting tool with either hand.
Some extra neck seals

Thanks for helping the newbs!

Think about putting EEzycut on your waist. You want to be able to reach your cutting tool with either hand.

That is a good point, thanks! Unfortunately, the Seaskin options only allow for either forearm, or the pockets. I'm not sure if I pick pocket does that mean that its on one of the pockets that is attached to my thigh (right or left)?

I have full rein. I would do without the crotch. I'm happy with the knee, back, and shoulder and would do it again. I shore dive and the oysters/barnacles will try to cut my suit when I trip in unseen rocks.

Did you get the PU bum pads? I definitely am a shore diver, and I sit on concrete walls, picnic benches, and everything in between, if I can help it. Wonder if this reinforcement really matters/helps.

Bigger pockets are better. I have the zippered ones and they're great. Pic below.

It looks like you have the expedition pockets, you don't find they drag because they don't lie flat? That is the main thing that keeps me from getting them.

I got the large bellows pockets. They lay flat, but they’re not as roomy as I thought they’d be. Get either the expedition or zippered pockets.

Did you get the PU bum pads? I definitely am a shore diver, and I sit on concrete walls, picnic benches, and everything in between, if I can help it. Wonder if this reinforcement really matters/helps.
Crotch, knees, shoulder and back. Crotch is a waste even though I scooter pretty much every dive. Not sure why I don't have the butt ones. I'm like you, I will sit when and where I can.
It looks like you have the expedition pockets, you don't find they drag because they don't lie flat? That is the main thing that keeps me from getting them.
Those are the zippered pockets. They comfortably hold my reel and 6' DSMB with a bit of room for other stuff in one. The other pocket gets my backup light and random crap I pick up throughout the dive. With all the other stuff on me, pockets don't add anything to the drag.

GX010426_1709425070309.jpg
received_1103124357698436.jpeg

No, he got zippered pockets.
Sizes are:
zippered 27 x 19 x 5 cm (volume of 2.565 ccm/ 156 cubic inch)
bellows 26 x 18 x 6 cm (volume of 2.808 ccm/ 171 cubic inch)
large bellows 26 x 20 x 6 cm (volume of 3.120 ccm/ 190 cubic inch)
expedition 30 x 20 x 7 cm (volume of 4.200 ccm/ 256 cubic inch)+small flap pocket

Considering your whole drag, pocket won't add much. And unless you need to fight a current, it ain't the race anyway.

Crotch, knees, shoulder and back. Crotch is a waste even though I scooter pretty much every dive. Not sure why I don't have the butt ones. I'm like you, I will sit when and where I can.

Are the knees the kevlar, or something else? I saw some pictures with the kevlar with "Kevlar" written at the top in yellow (ugh, doesn't fit my color scheme!)

Back
Top Bottom