Gloves and Hood before drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChaosHokie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I'm getting ready to take the Drysuit class next weekend, but when I went to sign up for the class, the LDS basically said I have to bring my own hood and gloves. I did talk to the instructor who said he'd let me borrow a pair of gloves and a hood for the class.

This seems kind of odd to me...and I'm a drysuit newb...but shouldn't I pick the drysuit first, then figure out which hood and gloves to get based on that? Or are the hoods and gloves essentially interchangeable? Honestly, I'm trying to be a bit frugal with diving purchases, and I don't really want to blow $100 on a pair of gloves and hood that I'm going to put into storage once I finally figure out which drysuit to buy....

I also figure it might take me a while to finally settle on a drysuit, since I probably want to rent/demo a few and try them out.

um, well you can use any set of gloves you already have... They aren't drysuit specific, and any hood will work if you already have one... The non skirted ones are generally better for drysuits
Wetsuits - Hoods - No Bib Hoods - Dive Rite Hoods - Northeast Scuba Supply
I use one of these with my drysuit and wetsuit, for $15 I definitely couldn't complain. Good hood as well. I use regular 3mm gloves for almost all diving, your hands go numb anyway :-D

I would use the borrowed gloves and hood. If and when you purchase a drysuit you may want to go with dry gloves (like Viking Rings) or a custom hood, and the ones you buy now will not be very useful.

Like saxplayer said, any gloves and hood work. The non-skirted hoods are easier.

I don't have dry gloves yet and use normal wetsuit gloves...

Skarn

What is the water temp where you dive?

For me anything under 55 degrees is dry gloves with an Otter Bay hood. Don't buy anything until you decide if you are warm enough in the gear borrowed.

I purchased a drysuit hood when doing my OW since I knew I would be going drysuit so for me didn't matter as I needed a hood, But the hood wont matter "Brand" any drysuit hood will work its more about what comfortable to you and appropriate for dive conditions, Same thing for the gloves. The drysuit you buy will work with any hood/gloves.

I used Akona 5mm Gloves, The got a pair of henderson Hyperstrectch H2 7mm Gloves then got Sitech Drygloves. My Hood is the same Bare 7mm Zippered hood.

Dive - Products - Accessories - Hoods - Tech Dry Hood - zipper - Unisex

So the local quarry here gets down to the low 40's.

I tend to be a bit more cold-resistant, like I can do 75 degrees in a 3mm with no gloves and hood. However, I'm still a novice diver and my constraint tends to be air in the tank vs getting cold :)

5mm-6.5mm hood should work. If you already have gloves from OW which I imagine you do, just use those. If they insist on you having a hood, just grab one of those Diverite hoods and you'll always have a backup. Never a bad thing as I will dive without a wetsuit long before I dive without a hood...

The drysuit you buy will work with any hood/gloves.

You're like the third/fourth person in this thread to throw that out there. However, it just ain't necessarily so. I think what you really mean is...

The drysuit you buy will work with any hood/gloves...depending on which drysuit and hood/gloves you buy.

Suppose I buy a hood with a skirt and then end up with a drysuit that doesn't allow you to tuck the skirt in?

Or I go the other way, buy one without a skirt, and then buy a DUI or other suit that DOES allow you to tuck a skirt into? Now you're neck will be c-c-c-old since all you'll have is a latex seal on it. (Or neoprene... see, depends on what you buy.)

Suppose I buy long "gauntlet" style gloves and then end up with a suit with cuff rings or otherwise doesn't work with the gloves?

To the OP - if you're worried about the possibility of spending $100 on gear today that you may end up not being able to use with other gear you may end up buying later... dude, diving just ain't for you!

Suppose I buy a hood with a skirt and then end up with a drysuit that doesn't allow you to tuck the skirt in?

Thats why in my post before that line I had said "Drysuit Hood". and had showed the Link to a drysuit hood. But either way I am sure the OP gets the point if he was at all confused.

So you been out to Dutch Yet RJP?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom