Going Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, tomorrow I leave for Cabo. One of our major suppliers named us a "Dealer of Excellence" for 2000 and is sending us down for four days to say thanks, along with 6 other couples from around the country. We called the airlines and got our trip changed to go down 3 days early and dive, then meet up with the rest of the dealers for the festivities and events. All it's going to cost is the 3 extra nights at the hotel. And the dive boat.

See ya in a week
Tom

I guess it pays to work your tail off between dive trips.

Had a great time in Cabo. It's a lot different then the Carribbean. No coral, and it's cold. Saw a lot more eels than anywhere else I've been. With very little sponge and related colors, the eels are easy to spot sticking out of the rocks.

The neatest thing I saw was a place called Sand Falls. Little trickles of sand are running down here and there between the rocks. As you go deeper they start joining and look kind of like a lava flow. At about 100 feet the sand falls off a cliff into a canyon several hundred feet deep. I'm still trying to figure where all the sand comes from. I was there early in the morning, late afternoon, and once about 10 at night. I never saw it coming back up. Seems like they would run out of sand after a while.

We stayed at Plaza las Glorias the first few nights. Reasonable rates, adequate food, nice rooms (although the typical Mexican cinder block beds). It's right on the marina with several diveshops on the first floor.

Undersea Diversions has the nicest boats, though not near as nice as my diveshop in Cozumel. Not much diver input on the dive plans. They announce time and depth and that's it. They have signs in thier pockets that they wave whan it's time to go up. My wife and I were back on the boat with 1500 psi left after max depth of 43 feet on the first dive.
Seems a little conservative. Second dive they made a mistake and ended the drift near a 18 foot sand bar. We turned that opportunity into a 22 minute safety stop. Loads of pipefish, porcupines, and several diamond rays.

Next day we tried Lands End Divers. Carlos, the owner, took us out to Cabo Pulma. Had a very enjoyable day with two drift dives, a great lunch, and great company on the two hour drive to get to the boat. After napping on the drive back, we hung out at the pool for a while, had a light supper with some people we met the first day and went out for a night dive at Sand Falls. Yes it was still falling. We would dive with Carlos again.

The third day Carlos wasn't available so we went back to Undersea Diversions. Same dive sight, same plan, same extended safety stop.

Most embarressing moment? Hanging around the front of the boat waiting for some guy with a weight belt problem. I switched to my snorkel to save some air. The guy rigs another belt and meets us at the front of the boat. The divemaster signals down so I do. He didn't, however, signal to switch back to regs, so I didn't. I was down about 3 feet before I took another breath. My snorkel isn't that long. Best part about it - another guy, with about a thousand more dives than me, did the same thing.

Made it home safely through a blizzard in Denver that held up our plane about an hour and a half. Then the 150 mile drive from the airport took about 5 hours. We still had on shorts and T-Shirts after being on a tropical beach for a week.

Great trip - but they all are when you get to dive.

Tom

Good report Tom.

Love the snorkel story. We less experience divers get a kick out that sort of thing.

Jimbo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom