Going diving, hope it is warmer where you are.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey I dove yesterday in 1'c water. 60 Feet for 20 miniutes before my buddy's reg started acgting up. There was some floating thing ice sheets and the outside temp was 1'c 34'f. Crazy, no, we are northern divers and thats what we get this time of year. Good practice for the Ice diving course in Feb. Good thermo undies and drygloves and your all set....YEHAAAAAA.....

WOW!!! Besides the ice, what do you get to see down there?? BTW, was it in fresh water or salt water ? (not that it would really change things so much, cold water is cold water... )

Well it was fresh water, Burleigh falls a part of the Trent Severn water system up here in Ontario Canada. We can't dive this area during the regular season being there are too many boats and it is the lift locke area. We see some fish, pickerel, bass and the odd dead creyfish. there are alot of rock formations, valleys and deep holes where we could be at 35 feet then drop to 60 in a matter or seconds. Old timbers, boats and dark areas and some good viz areas. The currents are not as bad as the summer months, especially spring with the winter run off. It's a dive close to home and again like I said something we can't do much of during the regular season. Good chance at finding the odd treasure someone has dropped from the boat crossing the lift lockes. Hey it's a dive and lots to practice on. I just can't think about putting my gear away yet. LOL....

Thanks for the info... Seems very nice! How's the vis ? I think I'll start to consider investing on a dry suit... A guy from the other side (patagonia, Argentina) told me he does some good dives over there too and temps are similar! Good luck with the Ice Diving Course and have fun!!!

Here's a little tip for all you trying to type the "degree" sign (i.e. 7° C): Press and hold the "alt" key while typing on the numeric keypad (on right, not top row) the number 176, and the "°" will pop up.

When air or water goes below 60° F, I'm out of these discussions.

Just waiting for my divebuddy to arrive, air temp. 19 degrees good day for a dive I think? Hopefully will warm up a couple degrees during our 1 1/2 hour drive to the Lake.
Last time I went diving, on November 8th, the air temp was about -1°F (-18°C) and the water temp was about +40°F (+4°C).

Current air temp is +8°F here. Overnight low supposed to be -5°F. Or, -13°C and -21°C, respectively. I imagine that by the next time I plan to go diving, December 27th, it will be a good bit colder.

Here's a little tip for all you trying to type the "degree" sign (i.e. 7° C): Press and hold the "alt" key while typing on the numeric keypad (on right, not top row) the number 176, and the "°" will pop up.
Didn't work, but copying the ° from your message does :)

º...... numeric key pad, not the numeric row, i get it.......Thanks...

Žº...... numeric key pad, not the numeric row, i get it.......Thanks...

Problem is, the notebook doesn't have a real numeric key pad and I couldn't make it with the Fn key together with alt and numbers...

Sorry everybody, this does not have anything at all to do with all the low temp diving over there!! I still can't figure what it is to dive in such conditions.

Seems you really do have fun, though... I think I'll try it some day! :)

Well just the fact we are diving is all that matters to us. Other than the water temp there isin't much difference below. Just we wear more thermo undergarments. Move a little faster getting dressed before and after..lol. Instead of 2 or 3 dives we kkep it to one for now, but hey I would trade it for a dive in RIO anytime..lol

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/116908/ppuser/93857

Well just the fact we are diving is all that matters to us. Other than the water temp there isin't much difference below. Just we wear more thermo undergarments. Move a little faster getting dressed before and after..lol. Instead of 2 or 3 dives we kkep it to one for now, but hey I would trade it for a dive in RIO anytime..lol

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/116908/ppuser/93857

Hey, if any of you ever come this way, please let me know! I'll be pleased to take you around for some not-so-cold-water diving. Rio's water isn't so warm, though, as it averages 22 degrees celsius. But in the northeast, where diving is great, water temp is a nice 27 degrees the whole year and air temps are around 30 degrees all the time! In Rio we usually dive with 5 mil wetsuit (long) and when visibility is good we sometimes go for 4 or 5 dives, the last one a night dive... In the northeast we don't really need a suit, some people dive with 2 or 3 mil short wetsuits, just like in the caribbean or Tahiti. And you don't want to go out of the water, with vis over 60 feet and so many wrecks and endemic coral formations down there!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom