Going diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks!

I'm learning that diving (on Oahu at least) is going to be less expensive than diving here - even the boat dives once I get a club card. I'll be able to dive, just need to moderate. I'm going to do AOW with Island Divers which is mostly from shore for under $200, then I'll be ready to do more shore diving (haven't yet).

When are you going to Big Island? I'm thinking I'll stop there on my way as I have 2 friends there and want to explore and maybe dive a little... I"m dreaming about checking out 1, 2, or even 3 islands before settling on Oahu but that might be stretching it.

My daughter and her family are moving to Kauai in February and my girlfriend and I have been looking at houses on the Big Island for some time and will probably be there in March, if all goes well. Except it turns out she already booked a flight to Cancun. Hmmm. I think she likes Cozumel a lot :wink:

$200 for OW? That's pretty good. When I was looking for certification for my honey Hawai'i seemed to have the best prices. They also seem to have the most unemployed instructors so it might be possible to just hire someone on the side.

The couple of times I went on dive boats in Hawai'i it did seem to be cheaper than California. Definitely cheaper than Costa Rica but Mexico has the lowest prices of any place I've been.

I’ll keep you guys informed as far as tank rentals go etc, I plan on shore diving mostly because of money and I get seasick easily. I’ll be joining a dive club but looking at two so far. Aloha Joe, which club were you looking at? I’m hoping to go diving the first or second week in January because I’m waiting for some equipment to arrive.

My daughter and her family are moving to Kauai in February and my girlfriend and I have been looking at houses on the Big Island for some time and will probably be there in March, if all goes well. Except it turns out she already booked a flight to Cancun. Hmmm. I think she likes Cozumel a lot :wink:

Keep us posted! I've talked to some friends on Big Island and may start my Hawaiian adventures there in early March.

I’ll keep you guys informed as far as tank rentals go etc, I plan on shore diving mostly because of money and I get seasick easily. I’ll be joining a dive club but looking at two so far. Aloha Joe, which club were you looking at? I’m hoping to go diving the first or second week in January because I’m waiting for some equipment to arrive.

I started looking at Aaron's - I really liked the shop and staff when I visited. Since doing some research though I found Island Divers (owner is active on this site) so I can see myself joining both clubs and doing my training through Island Divers. I'd be into shore dives too - although I haven't done any yet! I plan on getting AOW with shore dives as soon as I get out there.

Keep us posted! I've talked to some friends on Big Island and may start my Hawaiian adventures there in early March.

I started looking at Aaron's - I really liked the shop and staff when I visited. Since doing some research though I found Island Divers (owner is active on this site) so I can see myself joining both clubs and doing my training through Island Divers. I'd be into shore dives too - although I haven't done any yet! I plan on getting AOW with shore dives as soon as I get out there.

If you do go to the Big Island (aka Hawai'i) make sure you do the Manta Ray Night Dive from Kona. It is incredible. I did it about 1 1/2 years ago with Big Island Divers. Is that the same as Island Divers or are they on Oahu? The only thing is that I've read some recent reviews and it sounded like the mantas have not been showing up regularly :( When I did it I only saw four but three of them kept going back and forth so three can be a lot!

If you do go to the Big Island (aka Hawai'i) make sure you do the Manta Ray Night Dive from Kona. It is incredible. I did it about 1 1/2 years ago with Big Island Divers. Is that the same as Island Divers or are they on Oahu? The only thing is that I've read some recent reviews and it sounded like the mantas have not been showing up regularly :( When I did it I only saw four but three of them kept going back and forth so three can be a lot!
I agree, the night Manta Dive is one of my favorite memories from diving!

Island Divers? What’s his name on here? I’ll check them out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom