Going Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamaicanMon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice/information on making the move to doubles. Im a big guy and would love to make the move to doubles. Im just not entirely sure on what equipment I will need and what I need to be aware of. I would like to reuse as much of my gear as possible. This is uncharted territory for me and would love to know as much as possible before jumping head-on into this.

Currently I have some stuff I would like to reuse such as:
- Suunto Cobra (would like to re-use if possible)
- Scuba Pro Mk25

Ok, first I have to ask why you are moving to doubles. You mention that you are a big guy so I'm guessing this may be to address a high consumption rate? If so, doubles is not the answer. There are several tanks out there that will give you oodles of gas and there are countless ways to address consumption through technique rather than capacity. That being said, if you are diving in situations where redundancy is needed, this is what you will need:

- Double tanks, isolation manifold, and bands: I would suggest a 200bar manifold as they are easier to deal with. The tanks you select depend on the application, so it's hard to recommend something without knowing what you need them for
- 2 sets of regs, most preferably w/ DIN connections. You Mk25 is a great doubles reg, but you'll need another set. Hose routing works out great w/ that reg. Do a search on it
- BP/W, wing lift depends on use, tanks, and exposure protection. Most use a 45-55lb wing
- Training- either formally or informally through mentorship. Doubles introduce a lot more failure points and require you to know how to deal w/ issues that may arise. You have 3x the amount of failure points that you have on a single tank so you need to know how to address them. You are also going to have plenty of gas to get yourself into trouble with, so that should be a consideration as well
- There is not reason why you could not use your Cobra, but if you plan of doing any sort of decompression diving, it may not be the best option.

Again, doubles are a tool for specific applications, not just to get more gas. A HP 130, or pumped LP108/120 gives you a ton of gas and you don't need to make the investment in the equipment. Hope this helps.

If you have a couple tanks and a bc with a backplate or grommet holes, or a bp/w you can get some Ultimate Velcro Double Bands by Capt. Dan Berg or pony bottle bracket,quick draw brackets,ultimate ponybottle bracketscuba,dive,dive equipment and use them as independent doubles and you wont have to buy new valves and a manifold and you can still use the tanks on a single rig. I just made some brackets out of aluminum for less than 25$ for a new aluminum backplate I bought. I like using independent doubles because I dive alone alot, and my set up is the same with differant tanks I use, For shallow dives I love to use two steel 40s, deeper I use a 40+hp80 or two hp80s. All my dives are rec dives if I get into tec deco dives I will get some hp120s and manifold them together.

Re the Cobra -- in gauge mode it is a very nice SPG with the added value of being a backup timer/depth gauge.

Agreed that if you dont really need them a single tank is much easier,lighter,cheaper and safer than doubles.[safer unless redundant buancy is used]and because of more air/bottom time can put you into deco.Manifold failure is rare but valve drills have to be practiced.

I agree with the people above who have said that the solution to high gas consumption isn't a move to doubles.

The first solution to high gas consumption is improving your efficiency underwater. Efficiency translates to less muscle activity, and therefore less gas used.

That said, big guys use more gas than little people, and the solution to that IS a bigger tank. An HP130 is a ton of gas (as much as in my double 72s) and it's still easy to move around on land, doesn't require the purchase of a second first stage regulator, doesn't require a BP/W, and doesn't introduce a bunch of failure points.

Doubles are for redundancy, which becomes more relevant as the dives get significantly deeper.

Same boat as the others. Not to mention that it ain't cheap making the jump. Don't trick yourself and think that you will short cut something because it just won't work.

JamaicanMon:
I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice/information on making the move to doubles.
Well, much of the advice seems to be, ‘Don’t do it, at least not just to address high gas consumption.’ This is reasonable advice. But, let’s assume part of the advice you also want is how to go about it. It is an equipment-intensive pursuit (and therefore can be quite expensive), and as several have mentioned, there are a number of excellent threads on SB discussing (?arguing about) the best wings, best regs, best BP, the best tanks (LP vs HP, size, etc.). Definitely take advantage of that information. Battles2a5 also provided a great initial checklist.
battles2a5:
Double tanks, isolation manifold, and bands.
Putting the tank size aside, you will also need tank valves set up to accept the manifold, so even if you already have two suitable tanks, you will probably end up changing out the valves to accommodate the manifold (and the DIN regs).
battles2a5:
2 sets of regs, most preferably w/ DIN connections. You Mk25 is a great doubles reg, but you'll need another set.
Ideally, you will end up with two identical regs, but many people move to doubles with whatever regs they have. Some regs are better configured, in terms of port position, for optimal doubles hose routing than others. Again, use SB threads as a resource.
battles2a5:
BP/W, wing lift depends on use, tanks, and exposure protection. Most use a 45-55lb wing
If you are not already using a backplate and wing, this is a very logical starting point in your equipment evolution. Lots of very informative threads on wing comparison, and lots of ‘vigorous’ opinions on the topic available on SB. You will want to consider wing size (battle2a5 gives a good starting range), and whether the wing is a dual or single bladder, which may reflect whether you are diving wet or dry, or have alternate redundant bouyancy.
battles2a5:
Training- either formally or informally through mentorship. Doubles introduce a lot more failure points and require you to know how to deal w/ issues that may arise. … You are also going to have plenty of gas to get yourself into trouble with, so that should be a consideration as well.
TRAINING is a key ingredient. There ARE more failure points. That shouldn’t dissuade you from moving to doubles, rather encourage you to get the training appropriate for learning what the failure points are, and how to deal with failures when they occur. And, yes, you have more gas to potentially get into trouble with, but you also have more gas to allow you to bring your gas consumption into line with NDLs so you can stay down a little longer, and still remain within no-decompression limits. You will find you need to relearn some things about YOUR buoyancy and trim, and it can be quite frustrating. I moved to doubles because I intended to pursue tech training – primarily because I wanted to dive deeper, and stay longer, but also because I thought it would help me improve my proficiency and precision as a diver. Had already made the move to a BP/W, again with that longer term goal in mind. I had a single HP120, and bought a second one, used. Although I had several regs, and possibly could have used them for doubles, I decided to buy a new set for the doubles – got them at model close-out price, which wasn’t cheap, but at least less than retail. Bought the bands, valves and manifold new, and had my LDS set the doubles, regs and hoses up for me the first time. I then went out to the local quarry and starting diving them, ahead of starting the tech course. I then took them on a couple of coastal charters before starting tech. I was already diving a drysuit, so I learned how to dive my doubles dry. First time I used them wet I acquired a first hand understanding of the term, ‘dirt dart’. So, I started diving them ahead of the training. Possibly a bit risky, but it worked for me. I am still learning. One unexpected downside – one set of doubles is not enough (I now have three, and am still shopping). One set of regs is not enough (now have two and continue to browse eBay). Doubles are simply a new, relatively unexplored, section of that financial deep black hole that divers seem to haunt.

Even though I discouraged him from diving doubles in my post,I havent dove a single tank in the last 50 dives.And if Im ocean diving I use a single tank,but cavediving was the reason for my switch to doubles.I havent seen a need for multiple sets myself as stated above.I get a topoff during my surface interval unless Im diving Manatee or Madison where no dive shops are close,then I just carry a stage bottle and breathe it on my second dive.Remember maintanence on doubles and multiple regs are more costly as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom