Going pro advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pugdiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am starting my path to aowi. Like the lds that I am affiliating with and looking at completing my dive con this fall and doing my ie next summer. Any advice going forward?

Not saying anything bad about SSI because I think they have a great program if your a diver but as far as an instructor being confined to the dive shop is not for me. I guess if your ok with that then drive on. I would want the option of being independent.

Remember that both you & the LDS are in a symbiotic relationship. You are there to represent them & they are there to support you. Work together to achieve the goals of the LDS & turn out the best divers you can.

Teller, having to be affiliated is not all bad. I am affiliated with a fantastic dive shop that treats me as a professional & backs me up 100% with whatever support I need . I return the favor by producing the best divers I can & giving them the best overall experience I can.

tstormdiver:6312445:
Remember that both you & the LDS are in a symbiotic relationship. You are there to represent them & they are there to support you. Work together to achieve the goals of the LDS & turn out the best divers you can.

Teller, having to be affiliated is not all bad. I am affiliated with a fantastic dive shop that treats me as a professional & backs me up 100% with whatever support I need . I return the favor by producing the best divers I can & giving them the best overall experience I can.

Im not saying that being affiliated is a bad thing at all. If you have a good LDS then its great but I am just saying that I would want the option of be independent. There are other reasons I wouldnt go pro with SSI but thats the main one.

I actually like the affiliation component but as Teller says it is dependent on the lds that you are affiliated with. Essentially I am just looking to be in the water as much as possible and give back to the sport so with a good shop it just makes sense.

The MAP program (monitor & assesment program) that SSI uses is the reason I choose to train with SSI. Every instructor gets evaluated every so often and offered advice on how to improve the quality of their students. (at least at our shop.) I'm in no way slamming other training organizations, I'm just partial to SSI. We must have current medical, O2 , cpr, first aid, and insurance paid thru the shop. This year new standards require us to use training slates in the water so nothing is skipped or over looked. This met with some pushback from the instructors, but it does produce a more consistant diver. At our shop we require every student to dive with a computer.
(I have seen other classes with students that didn't have even a watch on their wrist)

One of the things that actually attracted me to SSI is the regular monitoring as well as the experience based advancement. Being tied to a LDS, in my humble opinion can actually be a benefit as I am not necessarily looking to go work the resort scene.

Go at it wide open and with an open mind! Treat it like a Profession, not a hobby. We are always looking for Dive Professionals, not dive bums. Anyone can lead a dive trip, it takes a real pro to create a great experience, fun atmosphere, educational program, AND - most importantly - get everyone home safe.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom