Going to Belize...need info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tam

Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Belize and need some info from divers that have been there. How is the diving on Ambergris Caye? I would prefer to stay in San Pedro because of the choice of going to town after the daily dives. The Atolls sound good, but a little remote. Where would you suggest staying? How is Ramon's Village or Captain Morgan's Retreat ?

Any info would be sooooo helpful!! :06:

Tam

I stayed on Ambergris and not San Pedro. Next time I would stay on San Pedro and at Ramon's Village. I checked it out while I was there. It's a very nice resort and great location.
The diving in Belize is very good. Just a step behind Cozumel and Roatan.
Have fun!

Hi There

Natasha you have me confused (I stayed on Ambergris and not San Pedro) you quoted

I think I know what you mean but to people less familiar it could be very confusing

What Natasha is saying is she stayed at a resort North of San Pedro town and next time she would stay in San Pedro town Ambergris Caye is the whole island and encompass's San pedro town North Ambergris and South Ambergris with resorts being in all areas.

Ambergris Caye is an island and the main town is San Pedro town you have the choice of stayin right in town or staying just out of town but within easy access to town.

There are pro's and cons to both

San Pedro Town

Staying in town is for those that like to be in the thick of things San Pedro is becoming VERY busy with lots of traffic and people but its within easy reach of restaurants bars shops etc if you want to be right in the middle of things and enjoy the hustle and bustle of a growing town then this is the place to stay.
Some people complain on other boards that some hotels in town can be noisy at night in the middle of town but generally if your looking to be in the thick of it and want to party then San pedro is the place to pick.

Resorts North of San Pedro Town

Resorts located North of San Pedro town are within easy access to San pedro town (most within 10 minutes) but offer Nice (QUIET) beaches Beautiful scenary where you can lay out and enjoy the nature that surrounds you (not possible to lay out on the beach in San pedro with the exception of a few resorts only Ramons being one of them) you can easily get into town nowdays as the North is rapidly expanding and even where I am located you can actually rent golf carts now to drive into town also there are water taxis that run into and back form town every 2 hours during the day and hourly at night.

North is for those that want to escape the crowds but want easy access to town for nights out etc But doen not necessarily want to be stuck in town and now with golf cart rental available it opens up many restaurant options for those staying North and gives another alternative transport into town.

That gives you a pretty accurate idea of the pros and cons of staying in town or north of town

Have a Great trip

Gaz Cooper

Yes, Gaz of course you're right. I think you know I stayed at Journey's End..which meant taking a water taxi into the town of San Pedro for dinner..and exploring. The golf carts sound like a good idea ( Did you think of that :winky:? )
Anyway, I'm sure that opens things up a bit.

Hope to see you at Dema again this year.

Hi Gaz,

Thanks for the reply. Natasha did have me a bit confused at first (not on purpose I'm sure). You seem to know a bit about Ambergris Caye. Your info was very helpful. I think I will pick Ramon's Village. Do you know much about the dive shop there? Do they overcrowd their boats ? I have heard good things about Amigos Del Mar, but would rather go with a dive shop at the place I stay if possible and accomodating.

Have a good evening.

Tam

So Sorry Tam..I hope I explained it better above. I haven't been back for several years..and I should have been clearer..on north and south..

Hi Natasha

Be sure to drop by my booth at DEMA it will be listed on the list as Gaz Coopers Playa Blanca Beach Club so I should be easy to find.

Tam

Yes I have lived on Ambergris for the past 14 years and run my own dive operation and hotel here during that time so know quite a bit and the island which is changing at a dramatic pace.
I am sure since Natasha was last here she would be surprised at how much the North has beocme more accessable what with the golf carts etc and the amount of development going on here.

Ramons runs a good dive operation and as far as loading there boats up Ramons is one of the largest hotels on the island with over 60 rooms so during busy times you can expect the boats to be busy with such a large operation Amigos again is the largest operation onn the island so the same applies however both provide good quality diving services and you almost never hear any negative comments about either operation.
Have a great trip and if you have any additonal questions dont hesitate to ask

Gaz Cooper

Tam,

Give a look at Victoria House, South of San Pedro, but you can walk along the beach into town if you decide a bit of social. About a 15-20 minute walk at the most. My wife and I stayed there for a week last November after being on the Aggressor. Smaller property than Ramon's and I believe many of the dive shops will pick you up at their dock... Gaz probably knows more about that.

Hey Natasha, hope all is well with you and David. Kim and I are finally headed Down Under in July for 3 weeks. Doing a liveaboard for a week on the GBR. Hope to see you again on a future trip!

Kev

bridgenet:
Hey Natasha, hope all is well with you and David. Kim and I are finally headed Down Under in July for 3 weeks. Doing a liveaboard for a week on the GBR. Hope to see you again on a future trip!

Kev

Kev!
Great to hear from you. Give Kim our love. Miss you guys! Wish we were joining you downunder.
This summer holds a few different things for me, with fall being the next dive trip to Bonaire after Coz in 2 weeks.
Keep in touch. Looking forward to your trip report!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom