Going to college to pursue a career in dive medicine research-any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey! so I've recently decided I want to go to school and get into dive medicine/decompression theory research. I've talked to someone who's actually a member of the DAN research team, who said I'd be able to get a job in the field, so that's all well and good. now, though, I'm having trouble deciding on a major. I'm thinking biology with either a biochemistry, cellular/molecular biology or biotechnology concentration. I really don't know where to decide lol. what do you think? or should I choose something different altogether? thanks :)

Congratulations on taking the first step to the rest of your life! I would recommend instead of pre-determining the end goal, which could change as you gain experience and wisdom, take a look in the mirror and ask yourself:

What are your skills?
What do you excel in compared to others?
What useful types of activities bring you joy so that you can spend hours upon hours practicing it and honing it so that you become better at it than anybody else?
Not just "following your passion"

Developing your core skillset as you explore possible areas of interest, such as dive medicine/deco theory research keeps your options open. Are you energized by crunching numbers, data analysis, looking for patterns, coding, theoretical math, etc.? Or do you enjoy observing nature, working in the field, describing and explaining phenomenon, writing and reading, etc.. Chemistry, physics, biology, mathematics, engineering, data science, computer science, statistics, writing, etc.? Big picture vs. minute details. Abstract vs. concrete? Extroverted vs. introverted? Getting your hands "wet" in the field/patients/lab vs. pushing paper and data sets. Many project teams in different industries are multidisciplinary. No one person is an expert in everything. They have PhDs, physicians, statisticians, writers, engineers, project managers, interns, MBAs, lawyers, accountants, finance, etc.. The trick is to develop your skillset and expertise so that somebody will pay you $$$ to add value to a particular project - it could be dive medicine/deco theory or anything else.

I like this summary

Think like a scientist. Talking to people currently working in dive medicine/deco theory research is fantastic. But it's not the full picture. There's survivorship bias and sampling bias. For example you may connect with many MDs, but that may or may not be the best or most efficient entry into the field. Also, some of the jobs in the field 10 years from now, about the time you finish grad school, might not even exist right now.

Good luck.

Congratulations on taking the first step to the rest of your life! I would recommend instead of pre-determining the end goal, which could change as you gain experience and wisdom, take a look in the mirror and ask yourself:

What are your skills?
What do you excel in compared to others?
What useful types of activities bring you joy so that you can spend hours upon hours practicing it and honing it so that you become better at it than anybody else?
Not just "following your passion"

Developing your core skillset as you explore possible areas of interest, such as dive medicine/deco theory research keeps your options open. Are you energized by crunching numbers, data analysis, looking for patterns, coding, theoretical math, etc.? Or do you enjoy observing nature, working in the field, describing and explaining phenomenon, writing and reading, etc.. Chemistry, physics, biology, mathematics, engineering, data science, computer science, statistics, writing, etc.? Big picture vs. minute details. Abstract vs. concrete? Extroverted vs. introverted? Getting your hands "wet" in the field/patients/lab vs. pushing paper and data sets. Many project teams in different industries are multidisciplinary. No one person is an expert in everything. They have PhDs, physicians, statisticians, writers, engineers, project managers, interns, MBAs, lawyers, accountants, finance, etc.. The trick is to develop your skillset and expertise so that somebody will pay you $$$ to add value to a particular project - it could be dive medicine/deco theory or anything else.

I like this summary

Think like a scientist. Talking to people currently working in dive medicine/deco theory research is fantastic. But it's not the full picture. There's survivorship bias and sampling bias. For example you may connect with many MDs, but that may or may not be the best or most efficient entry into the field. Also, some of the jobs in the field 10 years from now, about the time you finish grad school, might not even exist right now.

Good luck.
So, I'm an odd mix of both those categories. Math, data analysis, reading and writing, I pretty much like all of that lol. Theoretical math, well, I understand formulas well when there are values to plug into it. Where it can be applied to something. For example, formulas in the Deco for Divers book make sense, as I can apply them easily to a dive.
I'm more introverted than extroverted, but could talk all day to people interested in the same stuff I am. I probably lean more toward your pushing paper and data sets description- kind of like "behind-the-scenes" stuff?
And, yeah- there seems to be a few different ways to get into this field, and I'm not quite sure which is right for me yet.
Thank you :)

Reading the space news, we should be traveling to Mars just about the time you get out of school. And decompression will be a HUGE part of building Mars infrastructure and a big researcher salary job market. They say hydrogen biochemical decompression works in tests.
Oh, seriously? That's really cool. I'd love to be a part of that :)

@kay_ann - keep up the great initiative and natural curiosity. I think you’re going to make smart choices. Enjoy the intellectual adventure!

So, I'm an odd mix of both those categories. Math, data analysis, reading and writing, I pretty much like all of that lol. Theoretical math, well, I understand formulas well when there are values to plug into it. Where it can be applied to something. For example, formulas in the Deco for Divers book make sense, as I can apply them easily to a dive.
I'm more introverted than extroverted, but could talk all day to people interested in the same stuff I am. I probably lean more toward your pushing paper and data sets description- kind of like "behind-the-scenes" stuff?
And, yeah- there seems to be a few different ways to get into this field, and I'm not quite sure which is right for me yet.
Thank you :)

Doing computers in life sciences requires a healthy doze of schizophrenia. (I would know, I spent 2 decades doing just that.) If you can apply boolean algebra to fuzzy goo that at some point decided to crawl forth and multiply, without going bonkers -- more power to you.

Also keep in mind that going into research in academentia is not what'd you call a "secure" career choice: the funding pie is small and there are a lot of academics who want a slice. A Navy salary, a medical, or an IT one comes with much better job security.

@kaylee_ann,

It is my understanding that the key characteristic to success is grit. No one knows (yet) how one acquires it, but it appears that you do. I'd bet money you will be quite successful in whatever direction you ultimately take.

@kaylee_ann, I enjoy reading your comments. I'm totally electrical engineering and biomed. My daughter isn't. The engineer in me gave her a few personality tests to see what I was dealing with before I pushed her into something that we would both regret. Total success. She is now a happy and accomplished internal corporate recruiter. Sigh.

First, know yourself: Free personality test | 16Personalities Have fun with it, be honest to yourself.

@kaylee_ann, I enjoy reading your comments. I'm totally electrical engineering and biomed. My daughter isn't. The engineer in me gave her a few personality tests to see what I was dealing with before I pushed her into something that we would both regret. Total success. She is now a happy and accomplished internal corporate recruiter. Sigh.

First, know yourself: Free personality test | 16Personalities Have fun with it, be honest to yourself.
Aw, thank you 😄
Here’s the work style Career Paths | Protagonist (ENFJ) Personality | 16Personalities

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom