Going to Osezaki

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emanuelw

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm off for Osezaki tomorrow, first dive since i left Borneo a couple of months ago so i'm really excited!:14: Has anyone been there lately? What's the water temp and vis been like and what's the appropriate thermal protection to use at this time of year? 7mm? dry?
Oh, and btw i stumbled over some pictures of mola mola, are they common? :D

Cheers!

Mola mola are quite rare. Do not expect to see one the first 200 dives in Izu. But... who knows... Should be about 18-19 degrees so a wetsuit is ok for short dives. We still dive dry though.

Thanks mate! Sounds like Swedish summer temperature on a good day :)

Yepp. But at depth it is normally 8-9 degrees summertime in Sweden... :D Have fun!

Dunno about Osezaki at this time of year, but the temp in Futo last weekend was 17. I used my 7mm and was toasty and happy all weekend. My buddy was in a 5mm with a hood/vest combo and he had no complaints. :)

Just came back after two dives there today. Done dirt cheap through my uni dive club, 8000 for 2 dives, trip, equipment and everything so i am a happy man.
The place is really beautiful with Mt Fuji in the backdrop and the impeccable organization cracked me up. This is by far the most organized shore diving spot ive seen anywhere :D
However, the diving didn't blow me away, is this the Izu standard or just the cheapest most easily accessed site?

It's just a good place for training as it's sheltered.... it's not a place to go for awesome diving :) There are much better spots around Izu - IOP is my favourite so far.

Inside in the bay at Osezaki isn't too exciting. Sentan and sotoumi are nicer - did you try those spots?

Just dived from the beach in the bay. I was with the uni dive club and as many of you might know, things aren't always flexible when organized by japanese. if one person dives one place, everyone does. but for 8000 yen including transport and everything for a day i can't really complain though, it's good to be in the water, especially since i havent done any cold water diving for 4 years or so. So the miso soup coloured water of Osezaki was a good experience :)

Back
Top Bottom