Going to St. Maarten...need Concher input!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KBeck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, guys, I know this ISN'T the Carribbean section......

Some of you know I've had a last minute invite to St. Maarten; so I'm trying to do my research on the fly before heading out next Saturday. :D

I've already posted a thread in the Carribbean section about dive ops and such, but figured I'd come straight to my Conch buddies in case any of you have any special input--must do itineraries, places to see, things to do. So, if anyone has been there and has any special input, go for it. Restaurants you loved, places to avoid in general, etc. I figure you guys (many of ya) know me and therefore have a good idea of what I'm into or not...

Some specific questions to answer, you ask? Ok...

--my sister and I would like to do some basic hiking.....any specifics on tours, etc?
--I know enough to try not to hit the touristy side of town; however, my hosts will probably head straight there....any suggestions for certain shops or restaurants that will not be purely overpriced tourist heck?
--We are staying on the Dutch side, fwiw. My sister and I have discussed renting our own car (in addition to our host's). Is it worth it to do so; ie, to head to the French side for the day; or is just cabbing it easier/no more expensive?
--I'd love to Ferry over to St. Barts for a day (Depending on whether I can convince my hosts)....what to expect? Cost? Can we get a whole day out of it, and is diving from St. Barts an option/worth it? (I can't get away with a trip to Saba, unfortunately, since there's apparently little there for non-divers to do).

Thanks to any Conchers (or others who catch this thread) who have any input, including any tips outside of my questions. I'd like to be active most of the time there, while still being considerate of my hosts.......(there's always a catch to a free vacation, darn it....j/k). Thanks again!!! :)

(Now I just have to actually get something done at work for the next week!)

Krista, if you like sailing you must try the 12 meter challenge. It's 3 former Amerca's Cup racing yachts. You and your crew will sail in an actual race against the the other two boats. You can participate as much or as little as you like. It's a great event for those that like to sail and be out on the water. Some of the crew positions as I recall are grinders, timekeepers, and of course the all important position of bartender. :) I had a blast.

http://www.12meter.com/index.htm

Drink the Rum! LOL
Sorry, can't help ya any more than that. Have fun! Oh, and don't forget your trip report!

Hmm, wonder how long it'll take to get that link pulled......however, I don't think my skin nor the other tourists eyes can take that particular beach. Though I've been reading and there is a beach on the Dutch side that is popular for the same reason.....

So, Jenny, is that a hint to bring you back some drinking options?

Shock!!!! Me suggesting such a thing?? Why never!!
But hey, now that you metion it....:wink:

Rum ggoooddd!!!
Never been there myself. Hope ya have fun Beck. Take lotsa pictures. Have a safe trip.
Chris

If you have time fly over to Saba for a day of diving. Saba Deep is a good operation and Big Mike is a character. The diving in Sint Maarten was not that good, Peg Leg Pub was an excellent restuarant worth visiting.

The only time I ever dove there was a one-off when we were on a cruise.

The dive shop we used took zodiacs out from the shop and only did one tank dives.

The site we went to consited of a wreck at about 50-60', next to a reef - we did both on the same dive.

The most interesting feature above water was Saba, looking inviting off in the distance...

Have fun!

Thanks guys for your input; I've done lost of research in between insane hours at work.......but I'm getting out of that office one way or the other!!!

I will be using Ocean Explorers, which takes a max of 8 divers and isn't on the cruise ship side of town :). I'll be sure to post a trip report when I return. If I'm really lucky, I hope to make it over to Saba as well.....

Thanks again guys....and Jenny, you still haven't told me what you'll trade me for some real Carribbean rum..........

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom