Goliath grouper season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EL Pistoffo

Contributor
Reaction score
With the Goliath grouper breeding season approaching, I'm looking forward to seeing some for the 1st time. My question is the best period to see them? I understand the breeding season lasts from August till October and I may not have a chance to do the dive till September. Also, were would be the best area/op to dive them near Palm Beach?

Thanks

Damn, I clicked on this thread hoping for a lottery to shoot the Jew Fish. Oh well. It's coming soon enough and we'll be able to shoot them right in the face. I can't wait. :)

Damn, I clicked on this thread hoping for a lottery to shoot the Jew Fish. Oh well. It's coming soon enough and we'll be able to shoot them right in the face. I can't wait. :)
So they approved limited harvesting? Interesting.
Watch out, the easily offended, PC crowd might whine about your Jew Fish reference? LOL

With the Goliath grouper breeding season approaching, I'm looking forward to seeing some for the 1st time. My question is the best period to see them? I understand the breeding season lasts from August till October and I may not have a chance to do the dive till September. Also, were would be the best area/op to dive them near Palm Beach?

Thanks
Generally, I find mid-September and around the September full moon to be when the GG are most heavily concentrated. We'll be getting a bunch of trips out for the GG sex fest. MG111 and Zion Train wrecks (among others) are usually huge congregations of the GG. I use Capt Sl8r in Jupiter (www.jupiterscubadiving.com) and Sea Pup Diver in Riviera Beach (www.seapupdiver.com). Strong recommendations for both.

So they approved limited harvesting? Interesting.
Watch out, the easily offended, PC crowd might whine about your Jew Fish reference? LOL

Uh, lol, they've been called Jew Fish for more than 1000 years. Let the easily offended be offended. LOL. I'll continue to call the Washington Redskins the Washington Redskins for decades to come also.

And no, they haven't allowed limited harvesting yet, but they are working on it.

Uh, lol, they've been called Jew Fish for more than 1000 years. Let the easily offended be offended. LOL. I'll continue to call the Washington Redskins the Washington Redskins for decades to come also.

And no, they haven't allowed limited harvesting yet, but they are working on it.

1000 years? What, the Native Americans knew that there were Jews in the middle east and called them Jew Fish? Whatever.

Why do we want to kill Jewfish?

1) there are too many of them. There are too many fish in the ocean? Bunk
2) they eat other fish. Yes, that's what fish do. They eat fish. Bunk
3) they eat MY fish. I guess that makes them better fishermen than you are. It's what fish do. Bunk
4) I just want to kill something. Groovy. More folks pay way more to see them than eat them.

The FWC is paying lip service to the anglers who want to open a limited season, but it isn't going to happen. A healthy GG population means far more revenue than a few folks who want to "be able to shoot them right in the face. I can't wait.". I wouldn't hold my breath. Besides, aren't you in Cave Country now?

1) there are too many of them. There are too many fish in the ocean? Bunk CAN YOU PROVIDE YOUR SOURCE?
2) they eat other fish. Yes, that's what fish do. They eat fish. Bunk THEY EAT FISH THAT THE FWC IS CURRENTLY WORRIED ABOUT ie Red Snapper
3) they eat MY fish. I guess that makes them better fishermen than you are. It's what fish do. Bunk YOU HAVEN'T SEEN ME FISH :)
4) I just want to kill something. Groovy. More folks pay way more to see them than eat them. UH, Wrong again. $6/lb for gutted grouped. 800lb grouper $4800 grouper

The FWC isn't paying lip service. A buddy of mine is part of the research project that has been given permits to collect grouper in the 800+ range. They're researching reproductive lifestyle and eating habits. Guess what they're finding? 1000lb Jew Fish are eating hundreds of pounds of fish/lobster per day and they don't reproduce. Hmm, they eat everything in sight, and they don't make new baby Jew Fish. Yeah, their days are numbered for sure.

I'd be willing to place a small and friendly wager that we will not see any type of season (beyond research take) in the next 5 years. Say, a 3 day trip to the Tortugas vs a cavern course? Each retail about $1,000?

See, you got a friend, and I got a research boat. I know exactly what the research take is, and the folks performing it. I also know that the decision will not be even remotely based on science. Boy, could I tell you stories about red snapper research, since I just got off of a 10 day red snapper research cruise in North Florida. But that shall wait until we enjoy a beer in person.

Having eaten a 300 lb grouper taken in Gitmo back in the day I can tell you a 800 lb grouper will not be very good eating plus you better be a damn good shot or you will be going on the ride of your life. Get the 20 to 30 pounders for dining and leave the big ones alone for breeding.

I'd say 3-5 years is probably accurate. I agree, the Red Snapper bs certainly wasn't based on science. It's based on the majority tree hugger.

Also Frank, I'd GIVE you a cavern course any time. Let me know when you want to come. October does NOT work for me.

---------- Post added July 13th, 2014 at 11:27 AM ----------

Having eaten a 300 lb grouper taken in Gitmo back in the day I can tell you a 800 lb grouper will not be very good eating plus you better be a damn good shot or you will be going on the ride of your life. Get the 20 to 30 pounders for dining and leave the big ones alone for breeding.

800 pounders taste just fine. Don't believe the hype.
And the big big ones aren't breeding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom