Good Basic Boat Scuba First Aid Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently moved to Florida and have my own boat. Also starting to dive again after living in the desert for 20 years. Internet research shows more sizes and kinds of boat scuba first aid kits then you can count running from $10 to however much you want to spent. I would like some real world experience from any of you that has gotten a nice basic kit for cuts, scrapes and stings that gets the job done for as little cost as possible. Name of kit and cost would be great. Thanks.

I think most pre-packaged kits are worthless. A bunch of band-aids in a box. Hardly useful.

From memory, my kit consists of...

Pain killer pills
Aspirin
Dressings
Med tape
Iodine
Butterfly bandages
Tweezers
EMT Shears
Hemostat
Plastic bags for ice
Big tank of 100% o2 with various masks.
Bucket
Hot water from outboard tell tale
The previous two for jelly, stingray and lionfish stings​

And finally the two most important items...
An always tested functioning marine VHF radio and a Recon Medical tourniquet.

CPR training should be something you consider, as well as for someone who is always with you... should you be the one who needs assistance.

I've considered adding an ADE, but have not, though if a good deal comes along I will probably jump on it.

Did you look at the DAN Grab and Go for boaters? What you really needs depends on how many people and how far/time from help.

I would add a few foil or wool blankets as well for anyone suffering from shock/ exposure (even with the water temperature down in FL it is awfully easy to lose heat in the water or on the surface).

Maybe look at SOLAS Cat C First Aid Kits? They’re what’s required in things like life rafts and for offshore racing and are a bit more comprehensive than some other kits. Some of them require proof of boat ownership due to restrictions on the purchase of some of their contents though.

The size of your boat (number of people on board) and how far away you will be from outside medical help should be considered first.

If you have not already done so, take a first aid and CPR course. Then you will have a much better idea of what you should have in your first aid kit and how much you need to spend.

If your primary consideration is cost, the DAN kits are a pretty good value for the contents. I would also add a CPR mask or upgrade to the next kit (it's only about $15 more) that has one in it.

If you will have anyone in the water around your boat that could possibly be exposed to a running prop, add a tourniquet to your kit.

If you will be scuba diving from your boat (especially if any deep diving), look into getting an O2 tank.

I agree on customizing your kit for your needs, a couple of young healthy people requirements would be different than a diabetic, or kids, or old.

Would also add a "stop the bleed" course to the CRP-first aid course. It is widely available these days (unfortunately), it is mainly directed to gun shot wounds but the same practices could be applied to any deep cuts or punctures.

I keep basic stuff when diving close to shore but going farther to blue waters or crossing to Bahamas is better to have more than less.

On the lines of blankets and fresh water I also like to keep some food set aside for emergencies, nothing special just separate from whatever we are planning to eat or drink. I used to focus on what to have for a person getting hurt but along the years I learned that is also good to plan for the non-injured person, the one providing the aid. Potentially this person has to also operate the boat back home after or during taking care of someone else's injures.

Depending on the style of the boat things can stay on board or have a designated bag/case to bring along on each trip.

I think @CuzzA 's list looks pretty good. You need to know how/when to use what you're carrying and the list pretty much covers what most people can expect to deal with.

The tourniquet is a bit of a dilemma. Until a few years ago it was considered a "no-no" for most first aid kits. American forces experience in Afghanistan and Iraq changed that. However we still need to consider how appropriate it is in non-combat situations as it does cut off blood flow to the extremities, which can cause tissue to die.

Back
Top Bottom