Good Bye Cozumel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
pilot fish:
It would be nice if a person could post how they feel about a subject and not get ridiculed for it. Just because it differs from what you or I might might think is no reason to call him names.

Only one person called him anything derogatory, and then they apologized. When one posts something with which others strenuously disagree, one must expect to catch a little flak for it; I thought that the responses were, in the main, respectful. He is free to post whatever he feels about Coz diving, and we replied with what we thought about that same subject.

To quote the OP:
...you want me to go back any time soon I will send you the account # to send me the $$. I know my post of what i saw was gonna bring out the do gooders and save coz at all costs go for it! Cozumel diving for vets like me is gone live with it,period!

Now, that is not only [IMO] somewhat self-aggrandizing and insulting to many of us (I am as much a Cozumel "vet" as he is, BTW), it was the first shot fired as far as name-calling is concerned.

I don't know the individual; it's possible he was trolling, though I give him the benefit of the doubt. But I have been there since Wilma as well, and although I am disappointed at some of what I saw, "Cozumel diving for vets" is most assuredly not gone.

We are heading to Coz in May...absolutely can't wait!!!
I am sure that there will be things that are very different from my previous trips.

Considering that all of my diving for the last 5 months has been in cold water with minimum vis, Coz will be heavenly.

Even if the quality of diving has declined, I will happily contribute to the health of the island.

However:
Domino22 has the right to post his observations, and I appreciate his observations. If everything were totally rosie..I would have doubts.
If he were giving a similar review on one of the Regulator or Drysuit review threads, we would read it and consider his opinion.

I grew up in a town that has since become a tourist mecca, and the little town that I loved is no more. I hate what it has become, but obviously, being the tourist mecca, many people really like it. My opinion vs their opinions...are coming from very different perspectives.

When a reader of these forums weighs ALL of the information, I think that they will arrive at a realistic conclusion, and continue booking trips to Coz. One or two negative reviews aren't going to hurt anything.
I for one, hope Domino22 doesn't quit posting, because I would like to see his opinion in various threads.

pilot fish:
Just because it differs from what you or I might might think is no reason to call him names.

And this differs from your unprovoked and over-the-top attack on me in what way? Oh: It's only okay if YOU do it. Interesting....

No one called him anything derogeratory. People disagreed. Big deal. It's the internet. Get over it. *shrug*

Some of the posters were rough & rude. There does seem to be implied pressure to post only what will be okay with the majority even before discussion, and that's just not what this board needs to be. Polite discussion first, try to see the other view, then tell him he's full of caca...! :D

I catch grief often enough around here for voicing an opinion not of the majority - too bad.

ggunn:
I don't know the individual; it's possible he was trolling, though I give him the benefit of the doubt. But I have been there since Wilma as well, and although I am disappointed at some of what I saw, "Cozumel diving for vets" is most assuredly not gone.

I don't know him/her either but it did not sound like a troll post to me at all.

I, too, have dove Coz pre Wilma and one dive post Wilma and I was *not* disappointed. We agree, Coz is in no way gone. It might be changed, a bit, but it is still great diving and I like the island.

DandyDon:
Some of the posters were rough & rude. There does seem to be implied pressure to post only what will be okay with the majority even before discussion, and that's just not what this board needs to be. Polite discussion first, try to see the other view, then tell him he's full of caca...! :D

I catch grief often enough around here for voicing an opinion not of the majority - too bad.

Yeah, I agree with you, Don.

BTW, I always apprecate your opinion.

He was not trolling. He was upset over loses, and few of his "friends" here were supportive.

I Am Truly Sorry For Making My Original Post. I Never Thought It Would Have Lead To Some Of The Post's And Attacks That Follwed. I Almost Posted Some Sand Shots After I Saw Christis Photo Posts, And I Too Have Some As Good As Her's During My Trip. I Surrender Please Close My Original Post And Let This Go Away. I Look To This Board For Advise And Insider Info Not Available Any Where Else. I Do Not Want To Be Black Listed Here Or My Posts About Trips Resulting In Me Being Called A Troll. I Hurt Some People Feelings Here I Am Sorry, That Said I Have Dove Coz Since 1978 And I Understand Peoples Lives And Income Depend On Info Here. Let Me Also Say I Saw Six Cattle Boats There On One Day Shuttling People In! I Now Realize One Mans View Can Cause Unrest Among The Masses, For Many Different Reasons. I Now Truly Believe In The Pm Part Of This Board Than The Standard Post. If It Were Not For The Pm's I Recieved From Over 16 Members Afraid To Post In The Open Forum I Would No Longer Use This Site, Thank You Folks Who Took The Time To Pm Me You Have No Clue How Much That Has Helped Me. I May Never Post A Trip Rport Again- I Will Pm The Person Who Asks If I Have Any Info To Give!! Moderator Make My Nightmare Go Away Please! Close This Post Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gentle people...

You will notice that a few posts have been edited and even more were deleted. We are a "Workplace FRIENDLY" with emphasis on here put on the FRIENDLY part. It amazes me that so many of you seem to be IGNORANT of the "Report Bad Post" link in the bottom left of EVERY SINGLE post here on ScubaBoard.

If you feel that someone is doing more than disagreeing with you: HIT THE BUTTON. We don't allow personal attacks (flames) or name calling, though we do allow different opinions being aired. Possibly, with my intervention, we will allow this thread to move forward without the acrimony!

BTW, if you have any additional comments about this thread or how it was edited: TAKE IT TO SITE SUPPORT! Or PM me or another mod.

I was not one of the people who privately PM'd you, nor am I one of your "friends" as someone described the people who encouraged people to respect your initial post. The nature of my job is such that I need to state my views (respectfully disagreeing when I do so) and also try to hear what the other person is saying. I would hope that others could do the same, including the people who privately messaged you - one should NEVER be afraid to say what is on their minds unless it will seriously jeopardize their personal well-being. Discussion boards on what is - for most of us - a recreational activity shouldn't fall into that category.

I was looking at the number of posts and hits this report has generated and was thinking - wow - he/she really hit a nerve and piqued peoples' interest! You might take some pride in having one of the most discussed threads in a long time!

But I also wondered whether it had finally been beaten to death....and so I wouldn't disagree with your request to close the thread.

And finally, I wondered whether - in the interest of full disclosure, truth, transparency, and all that jazz - it would be useful to post the pictures you took of sand covered reefs. I didn't take any such pictures because I take photos of things I like to look at over and over and over again once I'm at home (they come up randomly on my computer's screensaver). Some Yucab pre and post Wilma shots would be edifying. Come to think of it - I've not seen any such comparison made anywhere. It would be interesting to people who haven't dived in Cozumel (ever, or post-Wilma). So if not you, then maybe someone else.

That's not to say people should avoid Cozumel - that's far from my position as one would divine from my many posts on this topic. It's still good diving in my view, and a great place to vacation. The reef is regenerating. But let's call a spade a spade and acknowledge that much of what used to be there is gone for the time-being. In my view there is still much to see.

domino22:
If It Were Not For The Pm's I Recieved From Over 16 Members Afraid To Post In The Open Forum I Would No Longer Use This Site, I May Never Post A Trip Rport Again- Moderator Make My Nightmare Go Away Please! Close This Post Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom