Good Job, PADI!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's great that all these entities are following ScubaBoard's lead in promoting local diving and training. Let's face it: More dives are organised and promoted right here on good ol' SB than anywhere else. I am proud of that fact and would like to encourage you to post your dive trips and classes in our local "Trips and Marketplace" forums. [/hijack]

Once when I was diving I met an American diver and chatted with him for a bit, he told me how fortunate enough to be in a tropical country with world class dive destinations. He told me to look around and see how many foreigners around who endured the miles of traveling across the world just to be here. I made a mental note to visit all the dive sights here in my country first before fulfilling my bucket list of diving in Maldives, Bahamas and Coz :) It took a stranger to remind me of how blessed I am.

Indeed it true promoting local dive destinations is a great way to strengthen this industry. And before I forget, I'm from the Philippines.

I for one am always excited to dive new places locally. Sure, we have a lot of lakes and rivers with poor visibility, but not all. I think we tend to gravitate towards warm water with good visibility for ease of diving, comfort and the variety of aquatic life that it offers. Prepared artificial reefs with swim throughs are hard to pass up.

However, local diving, depending on where you are from, can be a rewarding experience. I dove Lake Winola and there is still a lot yet to be discovered there. There are bottles over 100 years old along with artifacts from that time too. You will find propellers, old anchors, huge sunken timber and tons of lures. Yes, local diving can be cold and can have limited visibility but that is often what makes it challenging and gives you the opportunity to find things of the past. In our area, Lake Wallenpaupack has great potential for artifacts to be found as it is a man made reservoir, Harveys Lake is the largest natural lake in PA, Chapman Lake is spring fed and although very cold, has great visibility and good history, the Delaware River is loaded with things to find, Crystal Lake has a great history, etc, etc. I can go on and on.

So I would start looking right in your own back yard because you never know what you will find.

If we can just get the lakefront property owners to allow us more access without being worried about liability, more local diving would be possible.

If we can just get the lakefront property owners to allow us more access without being worried about liability, more local diving would be possible.
One of the lakes my son and I were certified in, Lake Isis, has been closed to Scuba. It was a cool lake in many regards.

After perusing ScubaBoard for the last few months, I have come to realize just how fortunate I am in regards to diving. The area I live in has an abundance of wrecks, walls, fish, and just plain neat stuff within a twenty minute drive of my house. I have received some great training and met some even greater people through the local LDS. Yes I would like to try some warm Coz. waters, but for the most part I'll stick with my cold water dives in the St. Lawrence. Local diving from what I have read is the foundation of all the agencies and should be supported as such.

I've been promoting local diving ever since I first got certed. A big part of that was economics for me and to an extent still is. But local diving not only offers a great deal to the diver but the family, LDS, dive industry, and overall economy as well; as I laid out in the final chapter of my book.

Last edited:
The "Dive News Network" {http://divenewsnetwork.com/} appears to be trying to promote local diving throughout its marketing area. Our version, Northwest Dive News, always has several articles on local diving -- and kudos to Rick Stratton for doing the hard work for publishing local diving.

Query -- How many of you routinely get and read your local dive news magazine? And do you work with your local diving community?

I used to read the Northeast version cover to cover, but my subscription has lapsed. It was a great read but ironically I found the travel articles more frustrating than the mainstream magazines.

I guess the local sites they wrote about are far more accessible to me, so I paid more attention and planned more trips which would get cancelled for one reason or another. There is a quarry in TN I still want to get to in order to photograph some paddle fish...

I should restart my subscription...

EDIT- I just signed up for 2 more years...now maybe you can help me float this past the wife :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom