Good location & techniques to get comfortable with drift diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

navi_jen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all...

I'm a new-ish diver (~50 dives) looking to branch out from my normal Cayman Islands divefest and would like to explore the world (and find more 'fish soup'). However, I understand that a lot of the better dive locations (particularly in the Pacific, such as Maldives) have drift diving.

I had 1 dive in Thailand with a pretty good current and it sorta freaked me out...which I found odd because even at middle age, I am still a decently strong swimmer (due to my HS & College swim career) but I think it was the lack of control that threw me. Are there good places (preferably in the Carribean, since it's closest) to get really comfortable with drift diving? And if so, how does one become comfortable with drift diving? I have a Carter SMB and delrin reel on order, but I'm nervous about up/down currents and/or being swept out to sea!

I've heard Coz has a lot of drift diving...wasn't sure if it was too much for a newbie (plus, it seems awfully Americanized/touristy...and I really prefer to steer clear of this on vacation as I looooove local culture).

Thanks for any/all advice!

Jen

My wife and I learned to dive in the Maldives doing primarily drift wall diving. She's not the strongest swimmer. She had no issues. Most of the resort maldives diving is with a guide from a boat and through the island's dive center. In our case, they checked the currents and planned for dives that weren't in the strongest currents. The currents were strong enough to keep you flowing along the wall, but if you wanted to slow down you could turn into the current and fin lightly to hold position. It was quite relaxing actually.thanks,rick

Drift diving in Cozumel as an presents any where from leisurely to face paced movement. It is touristy, but the diving is good. Frankly, drift diving is done, not taught. There is some basic review- swim across, not against currents, for example, and carry visual and audible signaling devices, and stay close to your group and buddy. But it is something you have to do, not read about. If your dive destination plans involves sites with currents, then do some drifting. If not, no big deal. Incidentally, I'd rather go to the currentless Camans than crowded Cozumel any day.
DivemasterDennis

Thanks guys....hear what you are saying.

Dennis, are there other, less crowded places in the Caribbean that you'd recommend with generally light drift diving so that I can get comfortable with it? Any suggestions?

I am one of those people that wants to start 'preparing' for whatever can happen. :)

There is a lot of drift diving off the southern east coast of Florida. Like Jupiter and West Palm. This diving has a hard bottom which I think is good. No worries about a down current suddenly sucking you down the wall. You can even drift dive off the Florida keys. I have done some out of Key Largo but it has to be arranged for.

Like suggested, West Palm and Boynton Beach are nice drift diving. Cozumel even better. Basically just need to get used to ducking down behind obstacles to avoid currents and finding your most streamlined body position. You might be surprised at how well you can maintain position just by streamlining your body with a mild kick. A reef stick can help by sticking it into the sand as an anchor as well.

Where things can get tricky is when currents change direction or power. Sudden up currents, down currents or super strong currents. Haven't had it happen much in the Caribbean, but definitely in Indonesia, Galapagos and Maldives. If you are a newer diver, find a good experienced buddy and a SMB in case you get separated from the group.

Learning to drift dive has zero to do with being a strong swimmer.

To prepare individuals for serious current diving and acclimating to small boats, and doing this in the Caribbean?

Cozumel is essentially a spring breeze. The real deal crazy $#!+ awaits on the North end of Tobago, charter out if the town of Speyside. I've seen wilder stuff in the Caribbean, but there is essentially no access- whether it's lack of easy travel, no local dive op, no liveaboard... Places like the NE barriers off of Grenada or Los Roques... Tobago will more than do.

Learning to back roll on command, descend immediately because of surface current, sticking with the DM and his marker (nice that you have one, but SoPac dives are run in the DMs marker), being able to shoot your SMB from 15fsw and hang below until the boat shows up, doffing and safely handing off your gear, clambering aboard, getting small.

Now, let's do that at night.

Navi_jen, you are going to love drift diving. Drop off the boat, float along with the current then surface and let the boat come to you! At least that's how it's done in Jupiter and WPB. I don't think you could ask for a more diver friendly drift experience, especially WPB. A typical dive there is 50 to 80 feet. The boats drop you off at the start of the dive. You drop down to the reef. The current travels along the reef so it basically takes you on a tour of the reef. The boats out of WPB put a DM in the water with you and they tow the dive flag. You will need your own safety sausage in case you come up before the guide. Most of the time you don't even need to shoot the bag from depth, just inflate on surface if the boat isn't right there. Some of the boats will even supply you with a safety sausage if you don't have one.

The only time the current may be an issue is at a wreck, if you want to stop for a longer look at something, or very rarely, when you have to swim against the current. And as others have mentioned, there are simple techniques to deal with those situations.

True, WPB is not Caribbean, but it is a great drift dive location.

I always seem to do Australian Drift Dives - Current in the wrong direction.... oh wait... maybe it's me!

Most people don't think of it as a dive destination, but Cancun also has some pretty awesome drift diving. It's also an inexpensive place to get to, stay and dive. Not much in the way of local "culture." But if you are a drift dive newbie as I was the first time I went there, you'll have a great time. Just don't go during spring break or any other major US holiday as it can get pretty rowdy during those times. The drift diving is not especially challenging at most of the dive sites and you will learn how much fun it is to essentally stay in one place while the scenery moves by you!

Contact Alvaro at Always Diving in Cancun, you will find him to be an excellent DM and guide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom