good shops in NYC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTernovski:
So, I guess there are only two shops in NYC, as mentioned above that fit the bill? that's pretty sad. Can anyone think of anything in Westchester area?

Joseph, what shop do you use now for your needs? I mean, fills, tanks, parts, service, etc..

The reason I ask, if you are looking for a shop that has the tech diver in mind, the one that I DM for may be worth while for you to look at. You can get any fill you need, gear you may need. It is Northern Jersey. (20 minutes out of the city) Blue Water Divers Ramsey, NJ 201-327-2822

Good Luck in your search.

NEWreckDiver:
The reason I ask, if you are looking for a shop that has the tech diver in mind, the one that I DM for may be worth while for you to look at. You can get any fill you need, gear you may need. It is Northern Jersey. (20 minutes out of the city) Blue Water Divers Ramsey, NJ 201-327-2822

Good Luck in your search.

I'll be sure to check them out, thanks, Jim.

VTernovski:
wow, I never thought this thread would open up so many cans of worms... but, I'll continue anyway... I haven't taken any training at any of the shops mentioned and pretty much decided that don't have any intentions do so in the future either. I have already proven that I can organize my own class and can have any one of the best instructors out there come here and teach the class, and I don't need any LDS to guide me on that. (example: GUE classes).. like an old Uzbek prolog says, (well, that's my version of it) " If the Mohamed doesn't go the mountain, the Mountain goes to Mohamed".

The same goes for gear, with great online resources, I can great pretty much any gear I want without any BS. (example: EE, FifthD, Abyss) At this point of my diving "career", I pretty much know what I need, and don't need an opinionated shop owner push some sort of gear that he is accustomed to sell/use.

That leaves one thing - getting fills. Obviously you can't get fills from the Internet. Which also makes buying tanks more difficult since if you get it online, you still have to have a shop stamp it with visual, etc.. Ordering custom suits is also a problem, since it's best to have a person measuring know what he is doing. People who leave near EE store in FL are lucky, we have none of that in NY.

Now, in regards to the shop on E4th. I agree, a good shop, and it has served me OK in the past, however, without going to details and mentioning any names, and getting accused of slandering, I'll just leave it that I had a personal dispute with the owner, and I don't plan on showing my face at the shop ever again.

Now, in regards to the shop in Brooklyn. I never had any problems, and I enjoy great discounts and personalized attention I get from the owner. However, the neighborhood does suck, kids running the shop (other than the owner) doesn't know jack about diving other than filling paintball guns, and it is not convenient for me to get there, and I can never find parking there, which is a number one pain in the ass when you need to load/unload tanks, etc... The street is so busy that you can't even double park there.

Other shops in the vicinity are a joke. Who ever mentioned LP - it's not a shop, it's a warehouse which is being run by people who know nothing about diving, and they don't sell much of any usable gear anyway.
Any kind of PADI-type (no offence to PADI, I am sure you mean well) recreational shops in the city is a joke as well, I mean those people don't know what a Scubapro Stainless Steel weight belt buckle is. And good luck trying to buy long hoses from them - just an example...

So, I guess there are only two shops in NYC, as mentioned above that fit the bill? that's pretty sad. Can anyone think of anything in Westchester area?

Joseph, what shop do you use now for your needs? I mean, fills, tanks, parts, service, etc..

Oh. It was rhetorical. Except for the getting fills part.

padiscubapro:
The one in brooklyn you list has a few problems..
I have taught a few classes for him over the past decade or so (one of my friends managed his shop for 2 different periods) .. and it always comes down to the same thing.. He always looks for the cheapest way out and not necessarily the best...

He is not interested in getting the best training avaialable but rather someone who will do it cheap.. Good instructors know what their time is worth, anyone doing it for bargain basement fees should be looked at.. when you get someone who is willing to teach someone without any tech experience and do multiple certifications through trimix cheaper than a good experienced instructor gets for a single tech or mix class, something is wrong.. I do know whenever my name is mentioned he always says I'm too expensive.. (BTW I have students that pay my way to travel and teach them)

When I was trying to get him to embrace ANDI, one of the conditions he needed to comply with was regular gas testing.. At the point he was asked for his last gas analysis it was over 2 years old.. (he would need to do it every 3 months) his answer was that his gas was good and oxygen compatible.. well the test came back and it passed grade e but did not pass oxygen compatible... needless to say he wasnt doing quarterly testing and dont know if he ever passed any oxygen compatible testing since he doesnt post analysis reports.

If you want gear at mail order prices (or close to it), bargain with him and you will get it.. I understand he is in a terrible neighborhood but you dont have to depend on local patrons to have a thriving business..

Well then, where do you get fills and what shop do you recommend?

VTernovski:
well, I guess it is. I didn't mean it to happen that way, but what can I say....

Just curious, are you affiliated in anyway with any of these shops?

I've been to one once and one twice. I actualy walked to the one in Brooklyn (once) and, yeah, talked to the paintball kid
minding the store for minute and left. I bought a hose from the other one which is only six blocks away and although I have no beef with the guy yet, I'm open to persuasion. That's the extent of my affiliation. I'm no tech diver, but the other two stores you mentioned are pretty much useless to me. I'm actually curious about the answer to this question, but, I've walked (obviously) and I've walked and havn't found any others besides the first two. We're affiliated by bunions and stinky feet only. (Meant no offense by the rhetoric thing but I try not resort to smiley faces)

evad:
Well then, where do you get fills and what shop do you recommend?
for Air fills I have no problems recommending Captain Mike's in the Bronx his quarterly air tests are always very good..
Mikes prices on gear are all near MFG recomendations, If you deal with the Shop Emelio can be a downer, but Billy is great all around, and mike can be alot of fun...

I found for MY needs it was best for me to get my own fill station.. and for Gear, I know many factory Reps that are just a phone call away for "demo" gear or at special pricing..

dnj30:
try village divers. 4th st btween 1st and 2nd. villagedivers.com

Any others? (Not the one in brooklyn)

I also went to Stingray once and wanted to ask some questions about bp/w, the guy behind the counter said he knew very little about scuba and whe I asked him if he knew the differences between a few wings he said something like "I have no idea what the differences are or who makes them" and I walked out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom