Goodbye Cozumel; Lets Try It Again Next Year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Don...much better :)

NadMat:
Usually am buying only for one, so I missed that explaination. Glad I am here in Austin where I can usually get flight to Coz for < $500.

Now to get the $500 together again :wink:

Actually, Austin can be one of the more expensive locations to fly to Cozumel from. Three or four years ago, in February or so, Continental's website quoted me $1150 (!) for AUS<=>CZM in May. I complained (well, yes, I whined) about it in a forum, and a fellow poster in Toronto told me that he got a quote of $602 for Toronto<=>CZM on the same dates as I was asking for. I checked it out, and he was right, even though the HOU<=>CZM legs were on the same plane! I even checked out just flying HOU<=>CZM, and it was still almost $1100; relative to what I was seeing, Continental was willing to pay him $500 to fly Toronto<=>HOU.

Just for S&G, I looked at AUS=>Toronto=>CZM=>Toronto=>AUS, and the cost was virtually the same as AUS<=>CZM. If I'd have had the time to spare and had I not found a much better option, I might have done that just for the FF miles.

Don't try to make sense of airline fares; 'twill only make you crazy... ;^)

ggunn:
Actually, Austin can be one of the more expensive locations to fly to Cozumel from. Three or four years ago, in February or so, Continental's website quoted me $1150 (!) for AUS<=>CZM in May. I complained (well, yes, I whined) about it in a forum, and a fellow poster in Toronto told me that he got a quote of $602 for Toronto<=>CZM on the same dates as I was asking for. I checked it out, and he was right, even though the HOU<=>CZM legs were on the same plane! I even checked out just flying HOU<=>CZM, and it was still almost $1100; relative to what I was seeing, Continental was willing to pay him $500 to fly Toronto<=>HOU.

Just for S&G, I looked at AUS=>Toronto=>CZM=>Toronto=>AUS, and the cost was virtually the same as AUS<=>CZM. If I'd have had the time to spare and had I not found a much better option, I might have done that just for the FF miles.

Don't try to make sense of airline fares; 'twill only make you crazy... ;^)

Tru' Dat...
but I find it to usually be below $500 RT, and if prices get crazy I can wait or try driving there rather than pay double.

NadMat:
Tru' Dat...
but I find it to usually be below $500 RT, and if prices get crazy I can wait or try driving there rather than pay double.
You Austin folks can always check fares from Houston, San Antone, DFW to determine if lower fares are available nearby. I've even heard of folks using Waco.

But here between Lubbock and Amarillo, I don't get much choice. :pilot:

DandyDon:
You Austin folks can always check fares from Houston, San Antone, DFW to determine if lower fares are available nearby. I've even heard of folks using Waco.

But here between Lubbock and Amarillo, I don't get much choice. :pilot:

another reason I live here rather than there :D plus much closer to diveable waters( I can drive to windy point in about 12 minutes):wink:

Hey Don, looking at the angles of the pics, looks like you too might have stayed in the 'turtle room' at Caribe Blu, I think it was #305. Another question for you, did they have wireless to the rooms yet? It was only available at the lobby area and in a couple of rooms over lobby in Dec. but they said that they would be adding additional access points as the repairs proceeded.

Turtle Room
cozumelday1_010.jpg

NadMat:
Hey Don, looking at the angles of the pics, looks like you too might have stayed in the 'turtle room' at Caribe Blu, I think it was #305. Another question for you, did they have wireless to the rooms yet? It was only available at the lobby area and in a couple of rooms over lobby in Dec. but they said that they would be adding additional access points as the repairs proceeded.
(Are we back up now? Jeeze!)

Yeah, I had a turtle in the floor, both times I've stayed there. Same room? Thought maybe they all had turtles...?

Wirlesss? I never asked. They have it in the lobby, and I was going to the internet cafe? Jeeze, they could post a sign. :doh: I turned on my laptop to download pics in the room, never noticed any signal.

DandyDon:
(Are we back up now? Jeeze!)

Yeah, I had a turtle in the floor, both times I've stayed there. Same room? Thought maybe they all had turtles...?

Wirlesss? I never asked. They have it in the lobby, and I was going to the internet cafe? Jeeze, they could post a sign. :doh: I turned on my laptop to download pics in the room, never noticed any signal.

Yes, they have it in lobby area, and gave me the wireless access point password when I asked(still have the profile saved for next trip). I could not get a signal in my room, but the guy staying in 201 (just above lobby) said he could hit it from there and one of the staff said something about adding additional wireless access coverage. I was emailing and on several boards most evenings, having a beer and watching sun set across sea while I sat out behind lobby.

Back
Top Bottom