Goodbye Fiesta Americana Dive Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't book it until well after it's open. Just because construction is done doesn't mean it will be done perfectly. Just because the staff is newly trained to operate a 5-star all-inclusive doesn't mean they'll be working perfectly. At least six months before the bugs get worked out.

And if everyone takes that advice, it may close again before the bugs ever get worked out! I'm guessing that it will offer some discounts to build up occupancy once it reopens. The question will be whether the discounts are enough to outweigh the fact that the newly reopened resort is in "shakedown" mode, when bugs and glitches get fixed. AIs are not my cup of tea (at least not on Cozumel), but I'd bet that there are bargain shoppers out there who will judge that the tradeoff is worth it.

And if everyone takes that advice, it may close again before the bugs ever get worked out! I'm guessing that it will offer some discounts to build up occupancy once it reopens. The question will be whether the discounts are enough to outweigh the fact that the newly reopened resort is in "shakedown" mode, when bugs and glitches get fixed. AIs are not my cup of tea (at least not on Cozumel), but I'd bet that there are bargain shoppers out there who will judge that the tradeoff is worth it.

This advice may reach 1% (that may be high) of the people who will book there. Preventing 1% from a potential marginal hotel stay will not close the hotel.

This advice may reach 1% (that may be high) of the people who will book there. Preventing 1% from a potential marginal hotel stay will not close the hotel.
That 1% is as good an estimate as any. And of those 1%, at least half will ignore my sage advice. Trip reports from some of the 99.5% will be available on TripAdvisor after their stays so we can see if I was right or not.

It's entirely possible they could get it "right" from the get go. I'm just basing my guess on the reports I read about Secrets right after the transition from Wyndham. The majority of the reports were filled with complaints that the service wasn't up to par, the food was lousy, the "remodeled" rooms were still having issues with plumbing and bugs (literal bugs), etc. After time, the reports softened into a balance of good and bad as the service improved, the food got better, and the hotel finished remodeling the rooms. Those who stay there initially may suffer the same fate and even a reduced room rate might not compensate them fully. On the other hand, one can wait until the "sweet spot" as I did with Secrets. The room rates will continue to be discounted until the reports improve. If one can time it right, get the discounted rate but enjoy all the improvements as they were meant to be, one can have one's cake and eat it too. When I stayed at Secrets I paid $232/night for a room that was originally slated to cost over $400/night and I believe I got my money's worth. Had I stayed there six months prior, right after the transition, I may have been among those complainers clamoring for my [discounted] money back.

IMG_1876.jpgIMG_1877.jpg

Taken about 10 days ago.

Thanks for the pictures. My son and I got our AOW at the Fiesta two years ago. Loved the setup with Dive House. We were just back in May. Stayed at the Park Royal. We dove with Dive House. Excellent as always.

I thought that the "blue" was a real blue.

It is a pretty white with turquoise blue trim now.

I thought that the "blue" was a real blue.

I thought Christi's initial description earlier in the thread was quite accurate.

Maybe turquoise blue is accurate. I deal in basic colors. Navy blue is blue. Other blues are decent blues. That is not a color that I would ever use in a building.

Of course my fashion sense does not necessarily add credibility to my color choices.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom