goodman handle use tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea_ledford

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Due to some team dynamics, I have to use a goodman handle. Currently mounted on a DR LX20 and... I hate it.

I've tried them before and abandoned because they don't seem to work for me, but I've lost that choice. In reality, the requirement is easy switching from one hand to the other for signaling.

I tried flipping the handle around both ways and adjusted the height up and down some, but it seems no matter what I do, it just sits and rubs on my middle finger knuckle.

Any tips on more comfortable use with a cordless light?

I prefer a soft handle made of bungee cord, but have never tried it with a cordless light.

DW

Are you already diving with gloves? If not, you can take work gloves, cut the fingers off, and use that to cushion your knuckles. I know others who do that.

Yes, gloves all the time. Either 3mm for cold or at a minimum cut resistant work glove type. Work gloves are way more common for me though.

Due to some team dynamics, I have to use a goodman handle. Currently mounted on a DR LX20 and... I hate it.

I've tried them before and abandoned because they don't seem to work for me, but I've lost that choice. In reality, the requirement is easy switching from one hand to the other for signaling.

I tried flipping the handle around both ways and adjusted the height up and down some, but it seems no matter what I do, it just sits and rubs on my middle finger knuckle.

Maybe glue or strap a scrap of neoprene underneath the light base? I use something similar around the handle part in my palm, by wrapping it with the neoprene cover for a cutting device.

In addition to padding, I like it because I can keep the fit a little tighter and not worry about the light falling off if my grip is relaxed. Hope you find a solution that works for you.

Lance

Buy a Halcyon adjustable handle and fashion a base to fit it to the LX20+?

I prefer a soft handle made of bungee cord, but have never tried it with a cordless light.

DW
That defeats the purpose of being able to readily switch the light from one hand to the other.

That defeats the purpose of being able to readily switch the light from one hand to the other.
How is a bungee mount not meeting the requirement to readily switch between hands? Honest question. I use this with my canister light and can easily switch it between hands if needed-

Granted, it is used with a canister light and not a cordless light as the OP asked but I can't see that that would change things very much in switching hands.

Sounds like it may be the wrong light for you because Goodman handles aren’t usually much of an annoyance. I personally hate cordless primaries because they’re typically bulky and don’t sit well on my hand as you’ve discussed. I also find a lot of them aren’t well balanced so maybe the dr is front heavy? The halcyon adjustable one is pretty nice. Not sure how to make it work with the dr light. But what you’re describing is why I don’t do cordless

Try rotating your forearm about 30 degrees inward - this will remove the weight from your knuckles, and it’s a more natural position overall

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom