goodman handle use tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try rotating your forearm about 30 degrees inward - this will remove the weight from your knuckles, and it’s a more natural position overall
It doesn't seem like that would address my problem, but might be the solution I'm looking for. I'll certainly give it a try!

And to clarify "inward" do you mean rotate the forearm so the thumb side of the hand is more on top (like a thumbs up sign) or more on the bottom?

I dont like hard Goodman handles
Always feel like it falling off.

But think this would work better

| Nitescuba M40-H Adjustable goodman handle for dive light
That looks suspiciously like the halcyon version mentioned before, but with better pictures. Nice to see there are some options.

Hmm I think this will be an issue. You will need to do some mod to make the screw recessed enough. Overall good concept, but detail isn’t correct.

Attachments

• FEDB7132-37EA-4782-A99D-A933075AB74F.jpeg
    FEDB7132-37EA-4782-A99D-A933075AB74F.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 70
I think the balance of the light is part of the problem. I don't have the light right here with me, but I think it is front heavy, so it tends to fall forward until is is resting on my middle finger knuckle. If I slide the handle as far back on my hand as it will go, it works fine, but I have to keep my hand in a fist to keep that position, which completely defeats the purpose of a hands free option. With this particular light, the mount is integrated into the switch, so moving the light to handle mount is not an option.

I actually really like soft handles, I've worn out my 15 year old oxycheq, but it is not easily swappable between hands, and if I make it loose enough that I can swap, it had the same front heavy problem as the hard handle. After looking at a bunch of them, with soft mounts, the light is actually attached over the back of the hand, inline with where the thumb sticks out, while the hard handle has to be directly behind the knuckles, a good inch or two further forward. It seems like the standard goodman is the result of some cave diver (Goodman, presumably) taking a scrap piece of aluminum and making a quick mount for it that worked good enough. But no one has done any innovation to it since, like if we were all still diving backplates made out of questionably acquired road signs.

The Halcyon looks interesting, I'll have to look into that more.

I was hoping there would be some sort of easy, but counter intuitive fix, because I don't hear about how horrible goodman handles are. Maybe it's just the anatomy of my hand that makes it not work very well. I might go with wrapping the hell out of it with hockey tape and see where that gets me.

I almost want to say the fit of the Goodman play a role here. If it feel like slipping off, my guess is the height and width are too large. Height can usually be adjusted, width, you have to find one that fits. In my limited experience, light monkey one with well with my hand width wise. For height, I adjust depend on gloves situation between home/cold vs warm/bare hand. I like the quick adjust Goodman, but still working on some experiment. If when I found a good option, I will update.

That looks suspiciously like the halcyon version mentioned before, but with better pictures. Nice to see there are some options.
It's a bit expensive for me to "need" it, but I would like to try it,
I have too many flashlights,

This is what I do, quite easy to make,
And many different mounting on your hand,
I don't tend to switch hands like DIR but if you loosen the bungee you probably could switch fairly quick, but it will feel loosely on your hand.

Needed, 3-4 inch abs pipe,
Cut a ring,
cut it 90*
warm in oven to straighten it out,
Cut about the width of your hand,
Rewarm till it has a nice arc to the top of your hand.
Drill 2 or 4 holes,
Lace with bungee
Mount to light,

Oh use solid ABS pipe, not the foam core stuff,

Attachments

• 20230820_164504.jpg
    20230820_164504.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230820_164523.jpg
    20230820_164523.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230820_164532.jpg
    20230820_164532.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230820_165351.jpg
    20230820_165351.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 62
It's a bit expensive for me to "need" it, but I would like to try it,
I have too many flashlights,

This is what I do, quite easy to make,
And many different mounting on your hand,
I don't tend to switch hands like DIR but if you loosen the bungee you probably could switch fairly quick, but it will feel loosely on your hand.

Needed, 3-4 inch abs pipe,
Cut a ring,
cut it 90*
warm in oven to straighten it out,
Cut about the width of your hand,
Rewarm till it has a nice arc to the top of your hand.
Drill 2 or 4 holes,
Lace with bungee
Mount to light,

I made something very similar with a piece of aluminum that I gave a slight bend to slightly contour over the back of my hand. I drilled holes for bungee like you did...what I did differently is I cut a small section of PVC conduit and passed the bungee through it on the palm side, it makes for a nicer grip than just the bungee and it facilitates getting it on/off my hand (especially when I want/need to swap it to my other hand).

I am interested in knowing/understanding more about how you fashioned the piece that holds your light on to the handle you made.

-Z

Make sure you have a small bolt snap tied to the right (thumb) side of the light. This will act as a grip/steadying position for your thumb to rest on. (In addition to working as permanent stow when that is needed) (If I remember, I can take a photo of mine tomorrow)

I am interested in knowing/understanding more about how you fashioned the piece that holds your light on to the handle you made.

All of them are a bit different,
But abs glues really well,
Small abs pipe glued on and slit,
the hose clamp tightens it really tight, but not really necessary,

You can drill holes and use zip ties if you wanted it easier

The last one has a recessed screw and that makes it easier

If you want nice radius, for the pipe carefully work with a holesaw does the trick. Or glue the pipe on top,
And fill the gap with small strips of abs and glue

Attachments

• 20230820_181742.jpg
    20230820_181742.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230820_181758.jpg
    20230820_181758.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230820_181847.jpg
    20230820_181847.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230820_181900.jpg
    20230820_181900.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 60
It doesn't seem like that would address my problem, but might be the solution I'm looking for. I'll certainly give it a try!

And to clarify "inward" do you mean rotate the forearm so the thumb side of the hand is more on top (like a thumbs up sign) or more on the bottom?
For me, it works better if I rotate so that my thumb is lower, but depending on the way your goodman handle is built I would just try both ways and see which one works best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom