goodman handle use tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what about a goodman glove
Unknown.jpeg

What is the actual problem beside “you hate it”? We can only help with a technical problem, not an emotional problem.

That defeats the purpose of being able to readily switch the light from one hand to the other.
Not at all. I can switch hands or clip off to a chest d ring as easily as using a hard handle.

DW

In reality, the requirement is easy switching from one hand to the other for signaling.

What about a razor hand mount?

What is the actual problem beside “you hate it”? We can only help with a technical problem, not an emotional problem.

He said knuckles kept getting bruised.

I think the balance of the light is part of the problem. I don't have the light right here with me, but I think it is front heavy, so it tends to fall forward until is is resting on my middle finger knuckle. If I slide the handle as far back on my hand as it will go, it works fine, but I have to keep my hand in a fist to keep that position, which completely defeats the purpose of a hands free option. With this particular light, the mount is integrated into the switch, so moving the light to handle mount is not an option.

I actually really like soft handles, I've worn out my 15 year old oxycheq, but it is not easily swappable between hands, and if I make it loose enough that I can swap, it had the same front heavy problem as the hard handle. After looking at a bunch of them, with soft mounts, the light is actually attached over the back of the hand, inline with where the thumb sticks out, while the hard handle has to be directly behind the knuckles, a good inch or two further forward. It seems like the standard goodman is the result of some cave diver (Goodman, presumably) taking a scrap piece of aluminum and making a quick mount for it that worked good enough. But no one has done any innovation to it since, like if we were all still diving backplates made out of questionably acquired road signs.

The Halcyon looks interesting, I'll have to look into that more.

I was hoping there would be some sort of easy, but counter intuitive fix, because I don't hear about how horrible goodman handles are. Maybe it's just the anatomy of my hand that makes it not work very well. I might go with wrapping the hell out of it with hockey tape and see where that gets me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom