GoPro Anti-Fog Inserts: Really Necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krukster86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been messing around with my GoPro Hero 2 + EyeOfMine in a swimming pool to see how different video settings worked. Although I did not see fog build up inside the case after the few minutes of recording, I was wondering if fogging up inside would be an issue if I take this thing on a dive trip (one coming up in Florida in May). I saw that there are "Anti-Fog Inserts" to suck up moisture for about $15 from GoPro. Does fogging up happen? Are these inserts really necessary? Thanks!

Yes, it does happen.

The inserts worked well for me, any type of moisture absorbent would probably work as long as it fits in the case.

I've never once had the need...but understand those that want the security. I think its more important to make sure the camera is.acclimated to the temp...ie air con in hotel room to 90 degrees with humidity outside. And assuring there is no moisture in the housing to begin with.

I haven't used them at all. Even when shooting in 160-180ft. Just make sure the inside of the case is bonedry.

Nope. I've dove with the camera in the cold north east, including quarries at a constant 42 degrees F - never had a moisture problem. I used to stick the camera and case in a ziploc bag with some large desiccation packs and assemble them in the bag ahead of a dive but haven't done that for about 50 dives now. If I *did* have a problem, I'd still go down the bag assembly route because it's far cheaper and more effective than any little thing I could squeeze into the case.

Best Buy sells them too and I figured for 15 dollars why not? Easy, cheap, and if its overkill....oh well.

I always use these or something similar, my first few test videos got ruined by minor fogging. It gives you the opportunity to open the housing if needed for short periods without having to worry about possible fogging.

The hd2 also runs much hotter then the original hero and fogging can happen very easily, slight fogging just takes away the sharpness and major fogging ruins all footage so its not worth the risk IMHO if it can be avoided so cheaply and easily.

If you have the LCD back, fogging is an issue if you have it turned ON too long. It runs warm.

yeah I will not have too many chances to dive and I do not want to ruin the video with fogging, so I will just suck it up and get the inserts. Better safe than sorry

15 bucks for some cardboard? I have not needed these inserts ever. Save your money for a blurfix, or replacement lenses!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom