GoPro HERO7 Black Underwater Camera Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BackscatterUW

Contributor
Reaction score
BackscatterUW A new article has been posted

GoPro HERO7 Black Underwater Camera Review

GoPro_HERO7_Kelp_Sun_Ball_Banner-2.jpg

Continue reading the Original Article.

This really is the emperors new clothes. The 7 black is a fantastic action camera for above water but a complete lame duck for underwater. The battery life is 45 minutes at best and that’s assuming you are not using the screen. No worries on the surface as you can change to a spare battery. Unfortunately you can’t do that at 20 metres under the sea ! The battery life is further depleted by the back screen and shooting in anything other than the low resolution settings. I have a 7 and a 3 and I think the 7 will be staying above the surface as it is completely useless under it due to the short run time on the battery. GoPro need to make a much higher capacity battery to make the 7 a viable underwater action camera.

My 3+ Hero still working like a Trojan. Feeling no rush to update, maybe unless/until they work out the battery life issue.

My 3+ Hero still working like a Trojan. Feeling no rush to update, maybe unless/until they work out the battery life issue.

I would stick with the 3 . I use mine often and have the batpack so can get two hours on one charge.

Yep, me too. Been happy with it and will stick with it.

My 6-months old Hero6 quit in a dive last week. No leak. Case was bone dry. It's a puzzle. So, I'll be sending it back for warranty repair.

I'll be bringing my Hero3 as back up in my next dive trips.

My dive buddy has Hero7 w/o such battery problem. So do my Hero6. Try the 1 button setting to power on/off & start/stop video. I did my 4 dives / day with such setting with good 30 minute video clips (15-20 video clips) & still had 50% battery power left in it.

I do think the 7 black is a fantastic camera for above water but GoPro have either decided to stop appealing to the dive market or have just seriously misengineered the camera . Either way it’s a kick in the teeth to a market that has supported GoPro for a long time. Looks like they are now aiming at the mountain bikers and skiers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom