GoPro stolen from checked luggage, Cancun -> SFO flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The 6PM one departed earlier today.

I have it in the plastic waterproof case, case was open when I opened by bag. (It was locked when I put it in)

Well they spared my Perdix.

Hindsight is 20-20, however anything small and highly valuable goes in my carry-on. Laptops, GoPro, dive-computer, wallet, keys, phone, etc.

I believe TSA locks have universal keys, and therefore if a luggage-handler or experienced luggage-thief wants to steal your stuff, it would be easy for them to do so.

This won't prevent theft, however these labels are fantastic for dive-gear and even non-dive gear. I've labeled almost all of my dive-gear, and many other items like cell-phone, wallet, gopro, flashlight, keys, etc, and still have more than half of the labels remaining. It takes a few weeks to arrive, but it's fairly inexpensive, and worth it IMO. You can do 2-lines as well, you'll receive an email after your order asking you if you want a 2nd line. For example, email & phone-number, or name & phone-number.

Hindsight is 20-20, however anything small and highly valuable goes in my carry-on. Laptops, GoPro, dive-computer, wallet, keys, phone, etc.

I believe TSA locks have universal keys, and therefore if a luggage-handler or experienced luggage-thief wants to steal your stuff, it would be easy for them to do so.

Yeah universal keys occurred to me as well. Although it may prevent some situations where they are really opportunist. Better than nothing I guess.

I think a way safer route is to go with a small carry-on to carry expensive stuff.

I'm lazy and checks everything. Guess should do less of that.

Yeah universal keys occurred to me as well. Although it may prevent some situations where they are really opportunist. Better than nothing I guess.
Look up "TSA universal key" on ebay. They're about $8 for 2 keys.

A TSA lock on the outside of your luggage may act as a "neon-sign" suggesting you may have something worth protecting inside.

This won't prevent theft, however these labels are fantastic for dive-gear and even non-dive gear. I've labeled almost all of my dive-gear, and many other items like cell-phone, wallet, gopro, flashlight, keys, etc, and still have more than half of the labels remaining. It takes a few weeks to arrive, but it's fairly inexpensive, and worth it IMO. You can do 2-lines as well, you'll receive an email after your order asking you if you want a 2nd line. For example, email & phone-number, or name & phone-number.

Another good option for labels. I was able to fit my name and phone number on these. Which one is a better deal will depend upon how many labels you get. The ones on www.divinglabels.com don't seem to list the quantity. It may be listed and I missed it. These on Amazon come with 139 labels. I've labeled pretty much everything and still have over 100 left.

Another good option for labels. I was able to fit my name and phone number on these. Which one is a better deal will depend upon how many labels you get. The ones on www.divinglabels.com don't seem to list the quantity. It may be listed and I missed it. These on Amazon come with 139 labels. I've labeled pretty much everything and still have over 100 left.

With divinglabels.com, it costs $23 including s/h (versus $32.50 + 4.50 s/h).

5x3 larger-rectangle
8x4 medium rectangle
8x5 small rectangle
6 square
6 circle
9 triangle

So total is 108, and they come on an 8.5x11 inch sheet.

There's also an option for a shiny 3M material, which I really like. It's not like SOLAS material, but it looks nice.

The one thing I like about those Amazon ones is they're all rectangular. I think they're both effectively the same thing from a perspective of an 8.5x11 sticker sheet.

edit: But I'm nerding out a little too much here. It doesn't matter which one you get; having your contact info on property might mean it makes it back to you. As someone who does a bunch of treasure-diving, my favorite thing is when I find contact info and can return the lost item. I've got piles of $300 sunglasses, iPhones, iWatches, etc that just sit in boxes doing me no good. Seeing a smile and excitement on someone's face when I hand them their lost cell-phone is pretty amazing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom