GoPro stolen from checked luggage, Cancun -> SFO flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Locks keep honest people honest. You can open the zipper of a locked suitcase with a ballpoint pen. Border patrol does that as it's often faster than dicking around with a key and lock. Press in and swipe. You close the zipper by running the zipper over the opened area a couple times. Easy peasy and your zip ties and locks don't matter.

Backpack for stuff that I need in flight (due to an injury having stuff under the seat in front that impacts leg room is highly uncomfortable), then a roller bag for heavier but still smallish/high value gear.

So roller gets dive computers, regs, lights, etc. All bags have air tags but won’t stop individual item pilfering.

Have to ask - why weren’t these items in your carryon?
Well I’m reallly lazy and don’t like to carry anything. When I get on a plane I only have a backpack with my laptop and ipad…

Backpack for stuff that I need in flight (due to an injury having stuff under the seat in front that impacts leg room is highly uncomfortable), then a roller bag for heavier but still smallish/high value gear.

So roller gets dive computers, regs, lights, etc. All bags have air tags but won’t stop individual item pilfering.

Air tags just act as transmitters for thieves.

Unfortunately some items are just to big/heavy for carry-ons. Camera equipment and dive computers always goes in my carry ons....everything else is checked (regs, etc). Its a nail biter when I first open my checked bags as to whether 1) the equipment made it 2) what condition is it in.

Well I’m reallly lazy and don’t like to carry anything. When I get on a plane I only have a backpack with my laptop and ipad…
Will you do it differently next time? Why not leave the laptop at home and only take the iPad. The GoPro case and Perdix aren’t that heavy.

Well they spared my Perdix.
idiots, but lucky you!
Unfortunately some items are just to big/heavy for carry-ons. Camera equipment and dive computers always goes in my carry ons....everything else is checked (regs, etc). Its a nail biter when I first open my checked bags as to whether 1) the equipment made it 2) what condition is it in.
I carry everything except my wetsuit and boots, including my laptop and camera in a single carry on backpack.

Will you do it differently next time? Why not leave the laptop at home and only take the iPad. The GoPro case and Perdix aren’t that heavy.
Yeah I would. Even though it looks like United is going to reimburse me for the loses (since I can find the receipt) it’s just too much trouble to replace list items.

Next time I would do 2 things different;:
1. bring a smaller package sling bag and then stuff expensive stuff in it and carry on, cameras, perdix, GPS.
2. Add a tsa lock, just for the peace of mind.

Did you file a claim with the airline? I had a similar experience when flying on Alaska from Cancun. My leatherman was lifted from my bag, contacted the airline and they reimbursed replacement. Your homeowners/renters/travel insurance might cover it as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom