GoPro Tether on Kickstarter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't remove the lens screws and risk it flooding just to attach that. I remember seeing those for the HERO/HERO2 and could not make any sense of it.

Just attach a tether to the thumbscrew or the backdoor hinge.

Seems absolutely ridiculous to me. Tie a piece of fishing line around it or something. why risk flooding?

Doesn't the GoPro have a 170o FOV - If your tether strap sticks out even slightly in front, won't the lens see it? So then do you need a band to hold the tether back since it will likely float u/w?

Capture.jpg

Not only that, but you're moving the frame even further out, risking vignetting.

Why do I need this ?

Put a ziptie around the bottom of the housing base connector neck to create a loop which can be easily installed/removed. If that is too McGyver, a SS split ring in the same location.

I make tethers out of fishing leader crimped into electrical ring terminals. The ring terminal goes onto the screw that affixes the housing to the mount. Only use 'em on land though...

Hi, I'm Mike and I found this post while googling my kickstarter Project. I'd like to answer a few of the questions that were posted, I don't mean any disrespect at all but I would like to clear the air and I would be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

I'm including a new set of Allen screws that replace the torx screws that come with the camera, to ensure you are able to tighten them sufficiently. We always recommend testing the housing after work has been done to it. If the lens gets scratched or other filter lens's are installed then you have to remove the screws and replace them. By including higher grade ALLEN screws and wrench, and the torx wrench to remove the old ones we feel we have addressed this potential problem.
The ring is the same width as the original piece so it doesn't stick out any further and the strap is about 1/8" behind the front of the lens to there is no Vignetting. If you attach any flotation to the camera is could float in front of the lens regardless of where it is tied, but even more so if its tied directly under the lens, If its on the side its a lot less likely to go in front of the lens, We have tested the Tether Ring while scuba diving and there is footage in the kickstarter of said footage.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Mike

We always recommend testing the housing after work has been done to it.

How do you test it?

Please don't say on a bucket or to waste one dive to take the empty housing down to a couple dozen feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom