GoPro Tether on Kickstarter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems pretty ridiculous ..there are a dozen ways to accomplish the same thing that dont involve removing the lens

Wow, I posted this just before I left for an impromptu trip to Tioman...really passionate responses lol...

Anyways, everyone's entitled to his/her own opinion...I definitely wouldn't risk my investment by going down to 20m with this before having it thoroughly checked out...

Btw, you could always send the housing to dive shops that have a small hyperbaric chamber to test underwater cameras and dive computers after its maintenance...

I think answers are passionate because this "procedure" requires dissasembling half the housing in order to make the part fit. In reality a simple fishing line, a tether, a suction cup thingie or some other free method could be used to accomplish exactly the same thing just by reaching into your kitchen counter or toolshed and grabbing the first thing that vaguely resembles a string or a tether.

The idea behind a tether is so that when your camera gets unclipped from adhesive mount (for whatever reason) it does not just simply fall off. Sheer thought that camera housing needs to be compromised in order to uncompromise it... sounds a little bit of an overkill if you ask me.

One can apply any one of dozens of 2 second DIY methods to tether the camera at no charge.

But more importantly testing camera housing in a cup or a bucket is about the worst method to benchmark a piece of equipment that #1 needs to be rust proof and #2 needs to be COMPLETELY waterproof and #3 needs to exceed limits of recreational diving depth (which in itself is industry standard for camera housing manufacturers).

I personally believe (no offense to that kick starter guy) is that just because gopro bandwagon exists does not mean one needs to jump on it. Making a tether should not require CNC machining or complicated removal of integral housing parts.

Back
Top Bottom