Gordon Ramsey eats Shark Fin Soup for the first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, just wow...

Shut it down!

Thanks for posting this.

Barbarians. Culture my hind end. It's all about the money and looking like you have money. It's a culture that has inflicted atrocities on others and even their own for centuries. What's a shark or 10,000 to them?

Barbarians. Culture my hind end. It's all about the money and looking like you have money. It's a culture that has inflicted atrocities on others and even their own for centuries. What's a shark or 10,000 to them?

That's a little bit of a harsh generalization on entire cultures. While I hate shark-finning and its industry as much as anyone, many of the lower-level employees are uneducated and ignorant about shark-finning. They are also extremely poor, and this is the only way they know how to make money. Obviously, this doesn't absolve them of blame, as they should realize the torture they inflict upon the animals.

The ones who should be blamed the most are the businessmen and the customers. The businessmen (shark fin industry and restauranteurs) know what they do, and usually the rich customers are smart enough to know what goes on behind the scenes. Even if they were ignorant, they have the resources to do the research (and thus, hold fault).

The fact about many non-Western cultures is that there is little education about sharks. All the people know about sharks is from films like "Jaws", and there is a large negative attitude that treats them like man-eaters. Plus, the businessmen/managers in the industry probably spread negative shark stereotypes to the workers to facilitate the killing.

Still, there's no reason to generalize to entire Asian cultures. It's like calling all Germans barbarians after the Holocaust or calling all people from the USA horrible because of the massive amount of pollution the country emits. You're correct, however, in saying that culture is no excuse for ignorance.

After watching this video in its entirety, I have much more respect for Gordon Ramsey.

The crazy thing, is that it happens right under our noses here in FL. There are permits for commercial shark fishing, they bring the bodies back to shore, cut the fins off, then dump the bodies back out in the ocean.

Back
Top Bottom