Gordon Ramsey eats Shark Fin Soup for the first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with your sentiments. The Ramsey documentary is possibly a big leap forwards. Whilst the 'average citizen of the world' might not come into contact with his documentary - he is a very leading opinion-former and trend-setter within the restaurant and culinary communities. If he can start to influence and educate those communities, then the issue of supply, rather than demand, might have an impact.

Here's hoping...

Yes, absolutely, that too is my hope...

I think this issue is at a critical stage and although often the ends do not justify the means, in this case I think they do, by any means necessary. We talking about the very real potential collapse of an entire ecosystem. We must do ALL we can ANYWAY possible. Time is not on our side. Education, bans, letter writing, boycotts, campaigns, social networks, whatever it takes.

Strange you've only showed one 15 minute segment. The whole program is an hour long and entitled "Shark Bait". Might be worth looking up part 1,2 and 4 as well.

I am unable to locate. What do they show? Im guessing there is a point?

Last edited:
You mentioned the notion of scarcity and the representation of status/wealth.
In traditional Chinese culture, it's more than that.

What else is it then? I've seen some really funky animals for sale and my associates traveling in China inform me that all manner of exotic/banned animals are for sale. Pangolin, dogs etc. Driving animals to extinction for status is insane.

X

What else is it then? I've seen some really funky animals for sale and my associates traveling in China inform me that all manner of exotic/banned animals are for sale. Pangolin, dogs etc. Driving animals to extinction for status is insane.

X

shark fin is thought to have healing properties and is used quite often for that, i cant remember exactly what for though. Chinese culture is intricate and there is a lot more tradition and history around alot of pratices that arent as cut and dry as western culture can be.

Shark Water goes in depth about finning, very very good movie, very depressing though. Will have to look for the rest of the Gordon Ramsey episode.

shark fin is thought to have healing properties and is used quite often for that, i cant remember exactly what for though. Chinese culture is intricate and there is a lot more tradition and history around alot of pratices that arent as cut and dry as western culture can be.

Shark Water goes in depth about finning, very very good movie, very depressing though. Will have to look for the rest of the Gordon Ramsey episode.

Thanks for the info. regarding the 'medicinal' qualities related to cultural practices.

Cheers,

X

p.s. wanted to add that education related to species-ending practices should be the first order of the day with consumers of shark fin. However, in my experience practitioners and sellers of potions and cures represent healing without quantitative evidence. Much like fortune tellers and quacks.

Last edited:

So? There is no reason to be so. Quackery while cultural and traditional form of "medicine" deserves no respect when facing extinction of several species for bogus healing benefits when in fact it only serves lining pockets of those peddling such things. Just because something has tradition and history doesn't automatically deserve respect nor does it mean it brings a positive value to humanity and to our environment.

So? There is no reason to be so. Quackery while cultural and traditional form of "medicine" deserves no respect when facing extinction of several species for bogus healing benefits when in fact it only serves lining pockets of those peddling such things. Just because something has tradition and history doesn't automatically deserve respect nor does it mean it brings a positive value to humanity and to our environment.

i didnt say there should be, people were asking questions, so I posted. I never said I agree with the practice. I've been a shark enthusiast since I was a child so I do know a bit on the topic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom