Got My DM - But I Don't Want to Dive "This Way"...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a good time to bring up the instructor who tethers his Intros on the bottom with a mushroom anchor?

...just trying to get his day done, he he.

Is this a good time to bring up the instructor who tethers his Intros on the bottom with a mushroom anchor?

...just trying to get his day done, he he.

OMG ... if you do, I hope you bring his students up with him ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And I never said it was. I was responding to the admonition to figure out whether I really want to do this dive class thing, which I clearly quoted in front of my response. Do try to keep up.

It's about what's appropriate for BOW students.

And it's not appropriate to make them think weights are always needed, a point of view that leads to the idea that more weight is better.

Why? And don't just quote some manual, address the physics of the question.
While you're doing that, explain what benefit ditchable weight affords a diver who's stone negative in a wetsuit, with an AL80 at 500psi on his back. Then stop and figure out that maybe everyone isn't a human cork like you might be, and what the implications of that are for your one-size-fits-all weight policy.

Never said they didn't. I made it clear several pages ago that the instructor is the boss, and if you don't like your employer's policies, the solution is to find another job. You REALLY need to pay better attention.

That said, the smart student will run from an instructor who makes them overweight themselves just for the sake of uniformity. And YES, 2 lb., let alone 4, can be overweighting for some people.

They SHOULD question the validity of instruction that insists on overweighting divers for the sake of conformity.

BFW, You seem to be very confident in all your responses but I was looking at your profile and you dont seem to want to share anything about yourself or at least some info on your experience. Not that it is necessary, but its nice to see where you are coming from. Now, I know, people can make stuff up to make themselves look better but you should be able to trust people here because we should all be here for the same thing, to learn and help.

Last edited by a moderator:
The snorkel issue has more, I fear, to do with the choice of snorkel and how it is worn than with tangling and deployment of the long hose problems.

I use a J tube snorkel with no do-dads. The snorkel keeper is just slightly off to the left of center on my mask strap. When the snorkel is in my mouth the top of the tube projects just up above the middle of my head (where the soft spot used to be), so the keeper is rather well up the barrel. This is in contrast to what most folks do, which is attach their snorkel up near the strap buckle so that it sticks forward and really only works well if they are vertical in the water.

I use a long hose in a fairly conventional way and deploy it with the typical, hand it straight off and bob my head move. I have never had it tangle in my snorkel. I suspect that what we are seeing here is real problems experience by a group of people who dismissed snorkels as a forgone conclusion, and then never really spent the time fine tuning.

All of us are guilty of that in some part of our diving, and I think it good for each of us to try and stamp those tendencies out by learning from those who did not go in with the same preconceived notions.
Photos as promised:
DSCN1663.JPG

DSCN16611.JPG

I like for my divemasters to wear what they work well in. I explain to the students why his/her equipment is different than mine, features and benifits. this opens the door I believe to discuss even further about different styles and techniques!! I dont just train divers, I train problem solvers!! I want them to think and dive!!!

So when educating people, If they cant go straight to university math without any basic math first, theire morons?
Are you allowed to drive a semi on a regular car license?

READ FOR COMPREHENSION. I'll go slowly this time.

Student drivers don't drive semis. They learn to drive on roads where OTHER drivers are using semis. They KNOW they're not ready to drive semis. They take their lessons in a midsize white bread sedan. ALL AROUND them on the road, OTHER DRIVERS are using motorcycles, SUV's, semis, pickups, etc. SOMEHOW, they manage not to be confused by the myriad of other vehicle choices being exercised on the road all around them.

Now, where in all that did I suggest students learn in semis? Where did I suggest a first grader learn calculus.

Given the level of idiot that we allow on our roads, and the fact that all of them managed to learn the basics of gas, brake, and steering, and maybe even turn signals in an environment where almost NO ONE was using the same equipment as they were, yes, if the mere presence of ONE staffer in the pool with slightly different gear from yours causes you confusion, you belong in an institution.

In fact, the reasoning behind your proposition, that seeing somethng new and different interferes with learning, if it were remotely sound, would also justify school segregation.

While it is nice to dive with as little weight on a weight belt as possible it is not always feasible.

That statement is self contradictory. If it's as little as possible, then it's feasible.

There was a time when I was extremely thin (16% body fat) and I still needed a weight belt with 8 lbs. Remember, I'm a woman. If we start hitting the single digits, we're on the verge of death. I was pretty damn skinny with no chest (size 2) and and very, very cut! If I dropped anymore weight, I'd start bobbing like a cork halfway thru the dive.

I never said everyone would need no weight. I said most people wear too much, and SOME people shouldn't wear any.

What's the deal with so many people confusing the concept of SOME and ALL?

Good buoyancy and perfect weighting is certainly something to strive, but expecting that it is going to happen in an OW class, IMHO, is expecting a little much.

Where did anyone state such an expectation? I must have missed it.

As a DM that's been on a boat in the Keys where these newly certified divers show up immediately after certification, I can state that the NEED ditchable weight. They need it so the DM can swim over, ditch their weight, and get them buoyant before they panic.

1. getting them buoyant isn't always the solution. Panicked divers tend to hold their breath - turning them into a Polaris missile isn't smart.

2. There are people who would remain negatively buoyant even after you ditched that token weight, unless you overweight them until they need a full BCD just to stay off the bottom. Is THAT your strategy? If so, it's insane.

An experienced diver, that's a different story... Please try to keep your thought consistent, bfw.

My thoughts have been perfectly consistent. You just need to pay attention to your reading. For starters, we weren't even discussing open water, we were discussing classes in the pool. Second, I didn't oppose weight where it's needed to make the diver neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom