Grand Cayman - A Couple Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lateralus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to Grand Cayman for 3.5 days for my birthday. Not enough time to go to Cayman Brac or Little Cayman, where I hear there is superior diving. I need to get the best tips for the island.

My questions:

Where is the best place to stay in Grand Cayman with diving in mind? I'm in the process of looking at hotels and what to be close to dive shops. It doesn't have to be a dive resort.

What are the best dive locations? I particularly like swim throughs, kinda like the Palancar Caves in Cozumel.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I would give you two locations. Cobalt Coast and Reef Divers or Tortuga Divers.

What else do you like to do on vacation? Do you like beaches and restaurants and shopping and excursions and nightlife? Do you plan to rent a car and drive? Will you be traveling with a companion or looking for single occupancy accommodations - I'm asking because that can impact options and the pricing.

Three days is very little time for a dive trip, especially because you will have to wait to fly after diving before you can travel home. How many dives do you want to do? Any chance of extending it to 4 days?

I suggest looking at Sunset House. Airport transportation, breakfast, and diving are included - both boat diving on the reefs and also shore diving on the house reef, so you can get in the most dives possible in your limited time frame. The resort is close to George Town's shops and restaurants (you can walk or take a short cab ride) and there are 2 restaurants on the property as well as an excellent photo shop - if you like underwater photography.

You could also check Cobalt Coast (Reef Divers) and the Holdiday Inn (Dive Tech) for other resorts with both boat and shore diving, but you will be away from restaurants and other amenities.

As far as swim throughs, I think your best option would be diving the East End so check out the Compass Point resort or the Wyndham Reef and Tortuga divers - no shore diving. But you will be far distant from most of the island's attractions and will probably need to rent a car to get to and from the airport.

The Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto shore dive site in George Town has a lot of swim throughs but that area is popular with cruise ship divers so it can be crowded and it has gotten rather beaten up over time. But if you will be on GC during the Spring Season, there is a good chance of seeing the silversides on the site - and that is a nice experience!

Last edited:
Another option is to rent a condo at the north end of 7 mile beach so you are close to west and north side boats as well as great shore diving at Turtle Reef and Lighthouse point. If your sole agenda is diving, I would also consider Cobalt Coast or Compass Point, both of which are dedicated dive lodges.

Agree with KathyV. Try for 4 days.

Lots and lots of sharks out east lately. They are seeing them constantly. Not just the usual suspects either. Both OF and Tortuga are great. I usually choose Tortuga as I have great old friends who work there but highly recommend both ops. They go to the same sites and run similar trips.

What else do you like to do on vacation? Do you like beaches and restaurants and shopping and excursions and nightlife? Do you plan to rent a car and drive? Will you be traveling with a companion or looking for single occupancy accommodations - I'm asking because that can impact options and the pricing.

Beaches are cool. My wife loves to lay out. I'm okay with no night-life. We plan to rent a car.

Three days is very little time for a dive trip, especially because you will have to wait to fly after diving before you can travel home. How many dives do you want to do? Any chance of extending it to 4 days?

We are going from Friday AM - (Noon landing) to Monday (Noon Takeoff).

I want to dive all of Saturday (AM/PM) and Sunday (AM).

Thanks for the help Kathy.

Last edited:
Lots and lots of sharks out east lately. They are seeing them constantly. Not just the usual suspects either. Both OF and Tortuga are great. I usually choose Tortuga as I have great old friends who work there but highly recommend both ops. They go to the same sites and run similar trips.

What kind of sharks?

Beaches are cool. My wife loves to lay out. I'm okay with no night-life. We plan to rent a car.

We are going from Friday AM - (Noon landing) to Monday (Noon Takeoff).

I want to dive all of Saturday (AM/PM) and Sunday (PM).

Thanks for the help Kathy.

It's depends on your computer and how much diving you do, but you may need 18-24 hours before it is safe to fly.

Caribbean Gray Reefie yesterday. Hammerheads last week. I everytime I have been recently have had some of the regulars join us for the dive. No hammerhead for me in Gc yet

Back
Top Bottom