Grand Cayman - A Couple Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is clear that you are marketing an op and would prefer they don't shore dive because then you wouldn't get their business. I have provided general information based on my experience on Grand, which I have found helpful from others on ScubaBoard and the purpose of the forum. I also said "usually" and "mostly" - not "1pm is written in stone." It's odd to become hostile and endeavor to prove me wrong by changing my generic statements to absolutes. It seems like your marketing efforts may be more appropriate through a DM.

I am not trying to stop anyone from shore diving. Just trying to offer accurate info. Lots of people do go out on boats that leave after 1. I am not sharing the name of my op and can name several that do it. I am not someone who has come to GC 5 or 10 times. I have come here as a visitor who loves diving two or three times a year for over 20 years and now live here. I am not sure why you thinking pointing out that boat dives don't have to be at 1 p.m. is a marketing ploy. I am a DM so not sure what that means either :). I love diving and love Grand Cayman and just wanted to see information that was accurate. For the record we actually take people on shore dives if that is what they want so I am certainly confused. You did say that the ops you looked at go at 1, I am saying that there are ops here that go after 1. Don't understand the issue. Peace.

This is the itinerary I'm thinking.

Friday - Land at Noon - Shore Dive - Devils Grotto or Lighthouse Point.
Saturday - AM/PM dive
Sunday - AM/PM dive
Monday - Snorkel at Stingray City before flight departure at 1:45pm

Surface Interval before flight: 20+ hours

Last edited:
That sounds like a great schedule! I hope you are able to do the shore dive at Lighthouse Point. It is one of my favorites. That's more than enough for a surface interval. I typically shoot for 18 hours but after our flight was moved up two hours unexpectedly last week, I am more on the 20+ hour side.

Caribbean Gray Reefie yesterday. Hammerheads last week. I everytime I have been recently have had some of the regulars join us for the dive. No hammerhead for me in Gc yet

Last Sunday at Princess Penny's Pinnacle at about 130 ft :) Luckily I was just 30-40 feet below the bubble blowing group on a rebreather so nice quiet close pass!

Beaches are cool. My wife loves to lay out. I'm okay with no night-life. We plan to rent a car.

We are going from Friday AM - (Noon landing) to Monday (Noon Takeoff).

I want to dive all of Saturday (AM/PM) and Sunday (AM).

Thanks for the help Kathy.
As Kathy said you may want to consider sitting out the last day. It is possible to do 4 boat dives in a day. I did 4 with Living the Dream divers... 2 AM, they dropped me off for lunch at my condo (ample time to eat and change into a dry swimsuit) then picked me up. You may be able to get them to guide a night dive in the evening at Macabuca. Sun divers at Macabuca will guide shore dives as well. So you could get at least 3 and up to 5 in a day and have the last day off. Depending on your flight time you may be able to get 1 shore dive in the morning before and have a nice buffer with 24 off.

Caribbean Gray Reefie yesterday. Hammerheads last week. I everytime I have been recently have had some of the regulars join us for the dive. No hammerhead for me in Gc yet
I’m confused? Where were you last week that you saw hammerheads if you have not seen a hammerhead in GC?

Sadly not in the water. I did not see a hammerhead in Grand Cayman ever. Two long time friends work at an EE op and saw them and posted pictures. Last week there were several sightings. I have not been lucky enough yet. For the most part anyway all the ops share news about whats arounD so we can all get jealous anyway. Need something to think about aside from Quickbooks.

The word “heard” was supposed to be in that bad sentence somewhere. Sorry typing on phone with old eyes.

Shore diving at Macabuca/Turtle Reef does not require a guide. It's a miniwall. One way out, opposite back. Current not likely. There are buoys moored at the turn in from the reef and half way in to the steps. Hard to get lost.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom