Grand Cayman - A Couple Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caribbean Gray Reefie yesterday. Hammerheads last week. I everytime I have been recently have had some of the regulars join us for the dive. No hammerhead for me in Gc yet
Nice. You think those will be around mid July? Not sure if it's a seasonal thing.

Based on your timing if you want nice beach I would stay on the west side. Check out places like Sunshine Suites, Westin, there is something for every budget. Many of the bigger ops do 2T in the a.m. and 1T in the afternoon. Smaller six packs (for disclosure we are one) will do 2T in the mornings and the afternoons or even 3Ts (which some people really like). No fly time by the Air Force is 24 hours, DAN is 12 hours, PADI is 12 hours for a single dive and 18 hours for multiple dives. Night life is not a big thing here:)

Yeh, I'm always monitoring this.

Sorry, meant to write Saturday Am/Pm dive and Sunday Am dive (if possible)

Sorry, I didn't mean to labor the point but sometimes folks post here on SB that they want to do a short trip and dive, dive, dive their brains out, but the forget about the wait to fly rule when scheduling flights.

I remember one time in the Bahamas, we were standing in the dive shop and getting ready to board the boat for the morning dives and there was a guy on his phone making reservations to fly out that same afternoon! The dive shop owner overheard him and told him that he couldn't dive if he was flying the same day. The guy got really angry and stormed out, but I'll bet he went straight to another dive shop and kept quiet about his flight plans - dumb!

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't mean to labor the point but often folks post here on SB that they want to do a short trip and dive, dive, dive but the forget about the wait to fly rule when scheduling flights.

I remember one time in the Bahamas, we were standing in the dive shop in the morning and getting ready to board the boat and there was a guy on his phone making reservations to fly out that afternoon! The dive shop owner overheard him and told him that he couldn't dive if he was flying the same day. The guy got really angry and stormed out, but I'll bet he went straight to another shop and kept quiet about his flight plans - dumb!

That is dumb. My wife is a pharmacist and she is really about not cutting any corners since she has been certified. It's been an enjoyable few years now.

So many people lie about their health, date of last dive, dive experience, fly time, it is really sad. No one wants to see someone have an issue or worse tragic incident that could have been avoided. Dive ops here often send blanket emails out immediately to each other when we have a guest who has been caught telling a porkie pie not only to protect each other, but for the sake of the "confused" potential diver as well. I know of incidents where the ops get slammed on TA for refusing people with issue. Luckily it can be addressed. Had someone recently who on the SIT started talking about his recent heart surgery . . . the DM's were stunned. We do ask that divers look at the medical and just tell us if there are any YES answers so they can "refresh" their memories. We cancelled his second dive and he was pissed but that is better than dead.

You could get in a swim through on the west end with Big Tunnels but I agree the better swim throughs are out on the East End. If you don't mind the haul to get out there, East End diving is excellent. I haven't been to Little yet but we just got back from the Brac last week and I didn't find the diving to be superior to Grand. It's on par with East End and possibly West Bay if you're picky about the dive sites so no worries that you can't make it over to a sister island. The main draw for us for the Brac was the volume of easy shore diving available compared to Grand. If you go with DNS, they head out very early and can snag some pretty good West Bay/SMB dive sites.

I don't think you'll be able to get on a PM boat. They usually head out at 1pm. You could also do some afternoon shore diving on Friday after you get in if the sea isn't too rough. Macabuca is awesome, as is Lighthouse Point. We haven't dove the more southern shore spots around Sunset House but if it's rough up by Macabuca, it's usually doable down there. You could also do a shore site or two in the PM then head out for a night dive, too. We like Macabuca as a night dive, as well.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom