Grand Cayman and Little Cayman, how much time on each?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To add to what Kathy has said, decide quickly and book if you want to go to Little Cayman. Another recommendation for the Little Cayman Beach Resort from me. Great resort all around. But also consider this.

There is pretty much only one way to get to Little Cayman and that is taking a twin otter from GC to LC. Those planes typically hold 15 to 16 people so space is at a premium. If you decide on LC, YOU CAN'T BOOK THAT FLIGHT SOON ENOUGH. Lots of ways to get to GC but one way to get to LC so don't hesitate on that flight.

I think their last flight to LC is around 5:00ish in the afternoon. They also have one in the 3:00ish range as well. What we typically do is book one of the later flights to give us plenty of time to fly to GC, go thru customs, get our bags, and recheck them to LC on Cayman Air.

If you have some flexibility on travel days for your week, you may want to consider going Friday to Friday. Most folks fly Saturday to Saturday and the airport is packed and those seats going to LC sell out even quicker. Even Sunday to Sunday is likely better than Saturday to Saturday.
That is good information about the flight. We are actually traveling Wed/Wed so might have a little more luck with that. I will definitely make our decision soon.

That is good information about the flight. We are actually traveling Wed/Wed so might have a little more luck with that. I will definitely make our decision soon.

You will have a much easier time with those flights Wednesday to Wednesday. Still don't wait too long but you should be fine.

Has anyone had experience with Pirate's Point resort?

The very first time I went to Little Cayman we stayed at Pirates Point. It was nice and the food was fantastic. Probably the best food on the island. The only downside to me was you have to gather your gear and take a van ride to where they have their boat each morning and they don't offer afternoon dives. Or at least they didn't at that time. But the two dives you get in the morning can easily be over an hour each.

I just find it hard to beat LCBR. Very good food with several choices each day on the buffet. You might think buffet food can only be so good but theirs is great. You also just walk out of your room to the dock and jump on the boat. They take care of your bc/regs etc at the end of the day. You just grab your mask/fins/wetsuit.

I would go back to Pirates Point if I was with a group and that's where they wanted to go but if left totally up to me, it's LCBR every time.

The very first time I went to Little Cayman we stayed at Pirates Point. It was nice and the food was fantastic. Probably the best food on the island. The only downside to me was you have to gather your gear and take a van ride to where they have their boat each morning and they don't offer afternoon dives. Or at least they didn't at that time. But the two dives you get in the morning can easily be over an hour each.

I just find it hard to beat LCBR. Very good food with several choices each day on the buffet. You might think buffet food can only be so good but theirs is great. You also just walk out of your room to the dock and jump on the boat. They take care of your bc/regs etc at the end of the day. You just grab your mask/fins/wetsuit.

I would go back to Pirates Point if I was with a group and that's where they wanted to go but if left totally up to me, it's LCBR every time.
That's good to know! It also sounds like LCBR has more food options. From what I have seen Pirates Point is you eat what you they made and there are not as many options. My husband is a picky eater so that does concern me.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! We booked LCBR and have our flights as well! Now I just have to be patient.....

Back
Top Bottom