Grand Cayman vs. Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roatanman- Eden Rock offers guided shore diving. That is what I am considering, if it is actually something worth seeing. I have read so many mixed reviews. On the other hand, since getting in a 2 tank boat dive during the port time in Roatan was becoming too difficult, I may look into doing a 1 tank afternoon dive and maybe check out the zipline in the morning instead!

Another quick question.... Not sure if this exists, but if a specific shore dive site doesn't offer a guided dive, can I hire a private dive guide from somewhere else to accompany me to the shore dive site?

Thanks

You probably could - but I'm pretty sure that all of the host shops at the major shore sites (ie Eden Rock at Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto, Sunset House at Sunset Reef, Sun Divers at Robert's/Turtle Farm Reef and DiveTech at Lighthouse Point and Cobalt Coast) all offer guided dives and or guides for hire. I know for a fact that Sun Divers does as I saw it on their board when I was there last week.

In response to your earlier question about marine life, you can expect to see lots of fish - snappers, jacks, grunts, tarpon, hogfish, sgt. majors, angels, butterflies, soapfish, grouper, wrasses, rays, barracuda, durgons, parrotfish, squirrelfish, scorionfish, puffers, trumpetfish, goatfish, chromis, cowfish, filefish, trunkfish, tangs, flounder, eels, lobster, shrimp, crabs, hard and soft corals, anemones, hydroids, sponges, and turtles too - pretty much all of the usual suspects expected on caribbean reefs.

Krissi: My husband and I went to GC about a month after our OW cert. Our first ever post-cert/no DM dives were shore dives at Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto. We had no trouble at all. The entry was very easy, the site was clearly marked with buoys, and there was lots to see. We also went on some boat dives with Red Sail Sports, including a wall dive. We are taking our newly-certified kids to GC next month, and will be doing both shore dives and boat dives. I'd like to do a night dive this trip, too. I've heard Roatan's wonderful, as well. Have a great trip! One suggestion: We asked our dive shop owner what he recommended, since he's been all over AND knows our skill level. He even gave us his dive site map and marked the dives he recommended.

Do some shore diving in Grand Cayman and if you like a boat dive in Roatan and Cozumel. At GCM when you get off the ship you can just turn right and walk 200 yards or so to "Eden Rock". There you can do shore dives super cheap and really fun. The coral there is not spectacular, but the swim thrus are! Also you will likely be swimming with schools of big Tarpon which is a hoot! Cost is about $20 for one tank, and weights and a second or third tank is under $10 each so dive as much as you like.

If you prefer to see the beautiful soft corals similar to what you will see in Roatan, but without the swim thrus, catch a taxi or bus (yes they have them) and go to the Cracked Conch. Dive prices are about the same, but you also have a nice outdoor restaurant/bar for the surface intervals. The beautiful soft corals there are as pretty as most you find in Roatan. In both places your dive will likely be 50' or less and you will see lots of fish. It is easier matching up with a dive buddy at Cracked Conch because there is a constant stream of them coming in to dive. Eden Rock I also found buddies, but it was not as easy.
If you haven't done the stingray city snorkel tour that if fun, but not exciting, likewise Rum Point if you only want to lie out on the sand and sip an expensive drink. Besides, it is quite a long taxi trip. Both the shore dives mentioned are good for beginning divers.

Roatan is a great dive location, but you will be limited to only boat dives there. I find shore dives to be much more fun and relaxing. You are not pressed to keep up with the group and don't have to return with the first diver in the group to suck their tank dry. (Memories of 20 minute dives with 1800# remaining) You can also make a second or third dive right there if the first was fun. There is hardly any worthwhile dive spot that isn't worth at least two dives!

I just returned from a fun trip to GCM last month and had a blast. See my trip report at: Grand Cayman May 2008 Trip Report (The first picture there is at Eden Rock with Tarpon in the background)

Back
Top Bottom