Great Barrier reef tips please!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey guys thank you all so much for your tips - that's really a great help! i would be arriving from thailand and haven't figured out a budget (thanks for the standby tip!!) or duration yet - what do you think - how long do you need to do GBR justice? this trip is something i've been wanting to do for a long time, especially more so after my micronesia trip earlier this year!! any other helpful tips you can provide are much appreciated!! i'd be interested to get in touch with anyone who's based in cairns! thanks again!! x:eek:)

Feel free to call or e-mail once you get to Cairns. I can definately help any divers out ther who want unboased advice.
Home town hospitality!!
My contact details are open on this site or on my web site below.

Wherever you go you will have fun, and there are plenty of high quality budget places to stay.

Kevin

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Discount dive travel to the Barrier Reef and Coral Sea - live aboard and day trips.

Cairns Discount Scuba Diving Trips - Great Barrier Reef

Best tip is not to let them know if you are a Pom or an American ... Just kidding

You will have a great time

hey guys thank you all so much for your tips - that's really a great help! i would be arriving from thailand and haven't figured out a budget (thanks for the standby tip!!) or duration yet - what do you think - how long do you need to do GBR justice? this trip is something i've been wanting to do for a long time, especially more so after my micronesia trip earlier this year!! any other helpful tips you can provide are much appreciated!! i'd be interested to get in touch with anyone who's based in cairns! thanks again!! x:eek:)
If you are going to dive, do a liveaboard for sure. Even if it's just for a night or two. It's SO easy and relaxing.

On dry land, we stayed at Dreamtime Travelers Youth Hostel (in Cairns) and it was VERY good. They fill up FAST. Probably one of the best hostels I ever stayed at.. and I have stayed at MANY...

Dreamtime Travellers Rest | Cairns Backpackers Hostel | Budget accommodation in Cairns Australia | Dreamtime Hostel

thanks again! kevin i'll be in touch!
more tips always welcome but ciao ciao for now x:eek:)

Nikki,

I was in Port Douglas about two weeks ago. I stayed at the Parrotfish Lodge and it was great. They have private rooms, or hostel style lodging (and it's one street away from the main street!).

I dove with Poseidon and it was fine... not spectacular. Don't get my wrong The Reef was incredible, but i can up with over half a tank each time... Which i totally understand, and wasn't upset.. I guess that could happen anywhere. So, if you want to actually use up the air you have... go with some of the scubaboarders recommendations above... though i can't speak from experience for them.

My humble (perhaps useless) opinion

Hi,
I want to go in september to the australia with Mikeball . And I don't Know what kind of wetsuit tu use, because I think the temperature of water it's 23 C for 4 dive What do you think? The 3 mm o 7mm

Thank for advanced

:)

I did Mike Ball in July and survived 4 dives a day with my 5mm. My feet also usually get cold so I was wearing 1mm neoprene socks in my booties, and also 1 mm gloves. Some of the girls who were using Mike Ball's own wetties (which are 5mm (i think) long arms short legs) got a little cold.

Worked @ Mike Ball ... diving was great, service, staff, ... also. Nice reef but nothing if I compare what I saw in the 5 months I worked at Yongala Dive. SS Yongala (shipwreck between reef and beach) is imo at least as great as the Reef itself ... and you see much more fish on 2 dives than you will see at 7 days liveaboard!

Nikki,
We dove last year on a 3 daytrip for 500 US dollars. Let me check my log and find out which one it was - I want to say it was Cairns Dive Centre. I'm going in the 2nd week of Sept and am not paying 2000 US. Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom