Great DSS Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Sounds like groundhogs day again, but I have to give kudos to DSS!
I ordered my rig in December - 6# SS Wing, 26# Taurus wing, and Hogarth harness.
Worked like a dream in Curacao for 16 days - I only had to dive 4 additional lbs on a weight belt! I loved the rig and everyone was looking and asking about it - I'm so glad I went with DSS.

Quick question - I am thinking about using an octo-inflator.
Any other DSS customers have / recommend one?
Tobin - what specs / info do I need to know in order to make an informed purchasing decision?

Many thanks again for an awesome rig that will last me a long, long time...

Sounds like groundhogs day again, but I have to give kudos to DSS!
I ordered my rig in December - 6# SS Wing, 26# Taurus wing, and Hogarth harness.
Worked like a dream in Curacao for 16 days - I only had to dive 4 additional lbs on a weight belt! I loved the rig and everyone was looking and asking about it - I'm so glad I went with DSS.

Quick question - I am thinking about using an octo-inflator.
Any other DSS customers have / recommend one?
Tobin - what specs / info do I need to know in order to make an informed purchasing decision?

Many thanks again for an awesome rig that will last me a long, long time...

Kyfried,

I glad to hear the rig is working out for you. Thanks for taking the time to let me know.

I'm not a big fan of octo-inflators. Having said that, there is no mechanical reason you cannot fit one to most wings, including a DSS wing. You will need a longer corrugated hose, and we do not have corrugated hoses long enough for use with a Octo-inflator.

The Elbow and inflator we use are both 1" od, and corrugated hoses with 1" "boots" , (the portion of the hose at the ends where it meets the elbow or inflator) are available from a few online sources, or through most "Trident" dealers.

Me? I"d keep the nice short inflator hose and matched lp hose, and use a conventional backup reg.

Tobin

I put an Atomic SS1 inflator/backup reg on my DSS rig. As Tobin indicates you'll have to put on a longer corrugated hose, but I found that very easily done. So far I like the setup. I used a little piece of 1/8" bungee around the left shoulder strap near the shoulder D ring and feed the hose through it; it helps keep it closer to my body, but easily lifts away for dumping.

I've read everyone's arguments about the pros and cons, and understand the objections presented against an octo-inflator. They make sense. However, I also considered the type of diving I do and decided to give the combo configuration a try, as I liked the simplicity. And one can always go back to a standard config. So far I'm OK with my choice.

I put an Atomic SS1 inflator/backup reg on my DSS rig. As Tobin indicates you'll have to put on a longer corrugated hose, but I found that very easily done. So far I like the setup. I used a little piece of 1/8" bungee around the left shoulder strap near the shoulder D ring and feed the hose through it; it helps keep it closer to my body, but easily lifts away for dumping.

Can you post a photo of your rig with the SS1?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom