Great Hammerhead Camden Aquarium, NJ !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well our local Aquarium has done it, only the second aquarium in the United States to have a Great Hammerhead shark. I do hope it will be in the regular shark realm tank. So I can dive it this summer. In the video here you can see he isn't all that big yet. But I am sure they will feed him very good, and he will grow in no time.

Sharks never fair well in captivity. He hopefully will be released when he gets bigger. It was beautiful seeing one in the wild in the Bahamas this past November. Enjoy your dives! They are amazing to dive with!

Carolyn:shark2:

Yeah, hammerheads are really difficult to keep. The problem seems to be that they rub their eyes against the walls of the tank. I am not holding out much hope for it, which is too bad, because in my mind great hammerheads are one of the most magestic sharks in the ocean.

Yeah, hammerheads are really difficult to keep. The problem seems to be that they rub their eyes against the walls of the tank. I am not holding out much hope for it, which is too bad, because in my mind great hammerheads are one of the most magestic sharks in the ocean.

They are absolutely beautiful! We had a female make a visit on our dives at Tiger Beach. She showed up after I had brought up my camera. But a fellow diver, Paul Spielvogel, caught her on film! It was an amazing moment to be that close to her!

3290782093_3949bd3002_o.jpg

Eli Martinez, editor of Shark Diver Magazine, is in the back filming her. He got awesome footage of her!

Carolyn:shark2:

I dive with schools of hammerheads on a regular basis. I work as a liveaboard guide in the Red Sea and I really like seeing them in the wild. I think it should be illegal to keep them in captivity though and that goes for all sharks. I would never sponsor a facility with entrance fee if I know they have sharks in the tanks. Just the same as I never would eat in a restaurant where I know they serve Shark fin soup.

.......a.......

Edit:
And what's with the slogan?
"As if sharks were not scary enough"
Shouln't they work for accurate information?
This sucks!

I dive with schools of hammerheads on a regular basis. I work as a liveaboard guide in the Red Sea and I really like seeing them in the wild. I think it should be illegal to keep them in captivity though and that goes for all sharks. I would never sponsor a facility with entrance fee if I know they have sharks in the tanks. Just the same as I never would eat in a restaurant where I know they serve Shark fin soup.

.......a.......

Edit:
And what's with the slogan?
"As if sharks were not scary enough"
Shouln't they work for accurate information?
This sucks!

Well I must some what disagree with you. I think sharks in captivity is very important. Not only does it give people (especially children) the oppurtunity to see them, but it also gives the science field time to do there thing. Especially with endangered species it could even possibly help the marine scientists help them. I do not think they should be cramed into small tanks, or mistreated. Adventure Aquarium does and has a big marine biology lab there. They do a lot of shark research. So it only made sense that they have a Great Hammerhead. I feel they should just keep them for a year or two, and then release them. But just my two cents.

Oh yah that has to be a cool job, being a guide on a live a board.

"Well I must some what disagree with you. I think sharks in captivity is very important. Not only does it give people (especially children) the oppurtunity to see them, but it also gives the science field time to do there thing. Especially with endangered species it could even possibly help the marine scientists help them. I do not think they should be cramed into small tanks, or mistreated. Adventure Aquarium does and has a big marine biology lab there. They do a lot of shark research. So it only made sense that they have a Great Hammerhead. I feel they should just keep them for a year or two, and then release them. But just my two cents."

I am afraid that a lot of the time, things done in the name of science only serve to bastardize the work of honest scientists by exploiting loopholes in the law and public opinion (for an example, look to the "Scientific" whaling efforts of the Japanese). The "rehabilitating" whale shark in Dubai serves to show that the same happens to sharks. This is unfortunate for the real scientists such as those at Mote Marine Lab, Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology, and Monterrey Bay Aquarium, who are working hard to figure out these mysterious creatures before they are too rare to find. Keeping endangered species in captivity can be a good idea if the animal is easy to keep, but in the case of great hammerheads, I'm afraid that a year or two survival in captivity is a little on the optimistic side.

There is another side to this. Many aquariums don't collect new sharks from the wild but instead serve as holding tanks for many smaller and home aquariums whose sharks have outgrown their exhibits. I work for an aquarium, and we just got in two juveniles from a private collector in California who couldn't keep the two new blacktips that were born in his aquarium. So I would argue that not all aquariums are the "bad guys," but it can be difficult to distinguish between the ones that are honestly trying to help and those that are in it for the business.

Oh yah that has to be a cool job, being a guide on a live a board.

Yeah man it's wicked! I get to go out to the very best dive sites in the Red Sea like Brothers, Daedalus, Zabargad, Rocky, St. John's and Elphinstone. I dive, on a regular basis, with marine life that most people only get to dream of. I see proper sharks like Oceanic Whitetip, Hammerheads, Silkies, Thresher (my favourite) and Silvertip. I see Mantas and Mobula. I've even seen Mola Mola (Sunfish) at Brother Islands. Can't complain.

Have a look at my personal website WELCOME TO AZIAB and let me know what you think.

...a...

Last edited:
I'm a volunteer diver at AAQ (in fact I'll be there tomorrow) and our hammerhead was released into the Ocean Realm tank (not the Shark realm tank) last fall. She's definitely interesting to dive with.

Back
Top Bottom