Great Hammerhead Camden Aquarium, NJ !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with schools of hammerheads on a regular basis. I work as a liveaboard guide in the Red Sea and I really like seeing them in the wild. I think it should be illegal to keep them in captivity though and that goes for all sharks. I would never sponsor a facility with entrance fee if I know they have sharks in the tanks. Just the same as I never would eat in a restaurant where I know they serve Shark fin soup.

.......a.......

Edit:
And what's with the slogan?
"As if sharks were not scary enough"
Shouln't they work for accurate information?
This sucks!
Yup about sums up my feelings too

(And if we could close the dolphin and whale shows like Sea World, Miami Seaquarium et al, I'd be happier still - the proper environment is the ocean, not doing stupid "tricks" for humans).

Not that I'm defending the great hammerhead in captivity, but there is a flip side. Samaka said himself that he works on a liveaboard ship. We are all divers. Not everyone is so fortunate, as a matter of fact, we are a minority. The only way some people can see these incredible animals is at an aquarium. Some believe that no sharks should be kept in captivity, I believe a more middle ground approach is appropriate. There are some species that obviously do well in captivity and have flooded the aquarium trade with captive reared animals. Fill the aquariums of the world with captive bred blacktip reefs, lemons, and sand tigers. Sharks are one of the few marine fishes that we can breed in captivity if given the right environment. I say give them to the people who provide the right environments by setting standards in the industry.

Back
Top Bottom