Great Lakes Wrecking Crew 14th Semi-Annual Meet and Greet April 23rd-25th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luckydays

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Scubaboard’s Great Lakes Wrecking Crew 14th Semi-Annual Meet and Greet

Once again, it is time for the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew Spring Meet and Greet. We are meeting April 23rd to April 25th at Gilboa Quarry. This is a diving weekend extravaganza but non-divers are welcome. All levels of experience are welcomed. There is only one rule for the meet and greet. What happens at the Meet and Greet stays at the Meet and Greet. (I still think this rule never lasts more than a few days before someone will post something about the event in the thread.)

Denny already reserved the back turn around for us, and I called and reserve the wood that we will need for the weekend. Now if anyone has any pull with Mother Nature, I would like to request 80 degree weather for the entire weekend. :D

Here is the Meet and Greet FAQ
Q: Who can come to the Meet and Greet?
A: Any Scubaboard member, their family and friends are invited. For the most part it is a PG-13 event but a great time is had by everybody who participates.

Q: What time does the Meet and Greet Start?
A: It all starts at around noon of Friday, April 23rd and will continue until Sunday, April 25th in the afternoon. Diving can be done for any day that you pay the entry fee for. Diving is whenever you want, with whomever you want. Just file a deep plan with Gilboa if you want to go to the deep side of the quarry.

Q: Why is the Meet and Greet held at Gilboa Quarry?
A: We have the Meet and Greet at Gilboa Quarry because we use it all weekend. Gilboa Quarry, 3763 Old State Route 224, Ottawa, OH 45875 www.divegilboa.com It’s a Midwest site and centrally located. Some people have enough gear to fill a utility trailer and once they set it up, they like to leave it set up for the weekend. Once geared up, the divers are within walking distance to the entry points. It has varying depths for all skill levels of divers. Unlike some of the other quarries in the Midwest, from Rec to Tec, there is enough to have a good time. Plus Mike and Jody go out of their way to make us feel welcome.

Q: What does Gilboa Charge to dive at their site?
Quarry entry fees - $17, air fill fees $8, Entertainment by the campfire – Priceless. The quarry takes cash and checks but not credit or debit cards so be prepared. Parking and camping fees are separate so check with Gilboa.

Q: What is the water temps that time of year?
A: the water temps that time of year range right around 40-42 degrees in the shallows, and around 35 or less around the tubes at 60'

Q: I only have a 3mill wet suit; will that be enough?
A: read above on Water temps, that's your call. Don't do it though. Its way to cold to dive in the Midwest in anything less than a 7 mil and a dry suit is hopefully on your wish list.

Q: I'm not certified yet. I just started my classes, but I lurk on Scubaboard all the time. Can I come?
A: Absolutely, What better way to get ahead of your classmates then to spend the weekend with divers. Of course we won't let you dive. The evening campfires alone are worth the trip! We promise not to pick on you either, unless you do something funny and then all bets are off.

Q: Where does the group gather throughout the weekend?
A: Well we are there to dive so hopefully there is a lot of gathering at the water but when not diving, everyone usually meets at the end of the road at the turn around point. Just follow the quarry road until it ends and you will see the gathering. However, be careful, parking at the end of the road is tight. Watch were you are to make sure you can turn around and not hit someone’s car or block anyone in.

Q: I don't have a dive buddy, can I still come? Will someone be my buddy?
A: There will be plenty of people to buddy up with. Don't be shy. Just ask the group to see who is ready to dive or if someone else is getting ready to go, ask if you can join. It’s that simple.

Q: What it the camping like at Gilboa?
A: Camping at Gilboa is Primitive. It is $8.00 per person per night to camp. Just grab a spot and set up your tent. The end of the road is the gathering place, but some people like to set up closer to the water entry points. You may need to make a reservation for a campsite but it is unlikely since we are going to be there so early in the season. More information is on the Gilboa Quarry website www.divegilboa.com

Q: What are the quarry rules for diving?
A: Everything is listed on the website but as a reminder if you want to dive the deep side of the quarry, you have to have the appropriate gear and file your plan with the Quarry owners. If he says no, you can’t dive that side. There is more than enough to see on the shallow side to have a good time. Make sure you bring your certification cards, dive log or computer for the quarry to verify that you have the skills to dive the deep side.

Q: What is the visability like at this time of year?
A: Pretty decent, bring your camera so you can take pics. If there is any incriminating photos though, be considerate and deal directly with the (s) for your payoff before you post the pics.

Q: Will I need to bring anything?
A: Gtxl1200 has his Camper trailer (the bunkhouse) with a Generator; he has most everything that will be needed. The bunkhouse has a refrigerator, stove and microwave for those that will be bringing food that needs to be kept cold and food that needs to be heated. We have a pot luck dinner on Saturday. We ask that you bring something for that. Bring whatever else you might think you will need.

Q: Is drinking of alcoholic beverages allowed at the quarry when we are around the campfire?
A: Yes, so long as your dive day is done, adult beverages can be consumed, but be respectful to the other campers/divers and quarry owners. If you are a mean drunk or an ass, keep your booze at home and don't drink any of mine.

Q: What about food for the weekend?
Friday night, the group will go out to eat at a restaurant if the weather is bad. Saturday evening there is a community meal. Its pot luck and we ask that everyone bring something if they want to partake in the food. There is also a community breakfast on Saturday morning. Again, if you want to eat, please bring something to share. As for the rest of the weekend, the food is on you. Gilboa has a café on site if you are looking for some grub.

Q: Are there any additional expenses I should be aware of that are not paid directly to the Quarry?
A: The group will order a bundle of wood from the Quarry. We ask that everybody pitch in a few bucks for the firewood to make sure that the cost is covered by all. It’s only fair and respectful to share this expense. Also, there might be a pass the hat if the group wants to have the hot toddy spiced cider cocktail mixture that Ted and John cook up.
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Who’s in and what are you bringing?

Luckydays – I’ll be there on Friday afternoon. I am staying until Sunday. Chicken Soup, Canopy for coverage and probably a propane heater if it is cold.

jwalko - Lots of sweet Italian sausage, sweet peppers and hoagie rolls. I'll also have extra bottled water and other drinks.

GTXL1200
1. Bunnkhouse Now taking reservation or bribe money (dont worry, he is both cheap and easy)
2. Generator
3. (2)two 30 cup coffee makers
4. Coffee

Reallydg - Chili (and Joe)

MichScubaMike - Munchies... Chips/Salsa ect. and bottled water. (possibly the "bunhouse")

Barracuda2 - I'll be there Fri. a.m. and stay until Sun p.m. and will have a load of Toledo Polish Kielbasa for Sat. night (amount will depend on how many people commit to the trip)

misstopsail - I'm coming, bringing some kind of dessert (cookies and maybe banana bread again, we'll see).

SouthSideScubaSteve - I am planning on attending, but have yet to decide what kind of culinary delight I want to attempt to make for Saturday night.

Last edited:
Who’s in and what are you bringing?

Luckydays – I’ll be there on Friday afternoon. I am staying until Sunday. Chicken Soup, Canopy for coverage and probably a propane heater if it is cold.

jwalko: The sausage and peppers always seems to be a hit on Friday, so I'll be bringing lots of sweet Italian sausage, sweet peppers and hoagie rolls. I'll also have extra bottled water and other drinks.

A little note about the FAQ We only go out to eat Friday night if the weather is bad. Such as last Falls meengreet. That was my first time going out to eat Friday night.

GTXL1200
1. Bunnkhouse Now taking reservation or bribe money
2. Generator
3. (2)two 30 cup coffe makers
4. Coffee

Thats all I can think of right now. If I think of something more I will add it.

Well since someone else always brings the steak and lobster, I thought we'd probably want something different. I'll bring a pot of chili.

A little note about the FAQ We only go out to eat Friday night if the weather is bad. Such as last Falls meengreet. That was my first time going out to eat Friday night.

Thanks for the correction Ted. I fixed it. I thought that was the case but my mind was slipping yesterday. I assume that the rest of it was ok though.

I will keep the Who's In list updated as much as I can as more people commit and list what they are bringing.

I'd love to make this event, but looks like I'm attending:
MAST and PLESRC
Spring Underwater Archaeology Workshop.
April 24-25 for the Class at the Vermilion GLHS the wet portion of the class will be May 22-23

I'll see some of you folks at Scuba Fest in Columbus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom