Great White hooked in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There will come a time humans will be gone from this planet. It may be 1,000 years or it may be a million years or more, but at some point humans will no longer be living here. We may die off from our own destruction or we may be wiped out by an asteroid. Nothing is forever. Reality is often gloomy, so it is far better to keep your head in the sand.

Assuming - and it's a big assumption - that we don't leave the planet barren and radioactive - can you imagine how awesome the diving would be 100,000 years after we're gone! I can hardly wait! :)

Here is a website of people who are studying Great White Sharks. OCEARCH Global Tracking Central
You can see where the tagged sharks have been because they ping when they get close to the surface.
MaryLee and Lydia are two very active ones on the east coast of the US right now.

So there are people who are trying to learn more about these sharks so we can better protect them.

The one single thing, that kept our species around for this long and put us on top of the food chain, has been 'brains' ... Good time to use them to keep the environment, we depend on, alive and well ... Guess, some people don't get it.

You're right. A lot of people just don't get that 7 billion people that need to eat, (not to mention drive their vehicles, watch TV, use their airconditioners and ride 250 hp driven dive boats out to the reef) are going to impact the environment of this planet. But they still eat, consume....and continue to act like they're not guilty.

You're right. A lot of people just don't get that 7 billion people that need to eat, (not to mention drive their vehicles, watch TV, use their airconditioners and ride 250 hp driven dive boats out to the reef) are going to impact the environment of this planet. But they still eat, consume....and continue to act like they're not guilty.

Only 250hp, why such a small boat?

Sent from my pasture while tapa-sheeping 2

It already did, the sharks which are "near" the top of the food chain are being decimated by humans which are at the top, as you even mentioned by calling us the keystone predator :confused:

The top ocean dwelling predator is the Orca, as they can kill Great White sharks, and do for their livers. Since Orca's are protected from man...

Then there are those people who believe in survival of the fittest and there is no need to protect other species, since if they die off, they were not strong enough to survive. Sounds like the previous two posters. There will come a time humans will be gone from this planet. It may be 1,000 years or it may be a million years or more, but at some point humans will no longer be living here. We may die off from our own destruction or we may be wiped out by an asteroid. Nothing is forever. Reality is often gloomy, so it is far better to keep your head in the sand.

Oh calm down Francis. 2 guys hooked a shark, it swam around for a few hours and then it was freed. Then everyone here wants them "Jailed and fined" (for something that is legal) "fined anyway", hoping his boat sinks,(bet that fuel leaking in the water will be good for sharks) "glad there names are out there for the backlash, etc. Then you get upset because a majority on their facebook page disagrees with you and then, out comes the "we are doomed!" AHHHHHHH Crap! 2 guys hooked and released a shark! The sky is falling and we are going to die!

Right now, that shark is probably eating a chunk of some endangered whale. The bastard!

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2013 at 08:42 AM ----------

For the record, I don't really condone what they did.

"I have seen 'Jaws' enough times to know what they look like," said Maisano. I see, I guess Maiusano didn't realize they used a mechanical shark for many of the segments in that film. Sheez.

Intentionally targeting a protected species should reward this guy with a stiff fine.

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2013 at 07:57 AM ----------

Many of us marine biologists have serious questions about the methods employed by OCEARCH in their "scientific research."

Here is a website of people who are studying Great White Sharks. OCEARCH Global Tracking Central
You can see where the tagged sharks have been because they ping when they get close to the surface.
MaryLee and Lydia are two very active ones on the east coast of the US right now.

So there are people who are trying to learn more about these sharks so we can better protect them.

If yal seriously think these guys pushed out of johns pass with the intention of hooking a gws, then your clearly unfamiliar with the area. They saw an opportunity through the course of their normal routine and went for it, almost any fisherman would have, its like... what were doing out there... you get it or you dont.

50 years ago they would have dragged her ass back to port and cut her open, but people cant properly restrain themselves and they were over fished. So now the fishermen have hook and release, a thought reasonable compromise to killing the fish but yal are still not happy? Greedy much? Are you going to be happy until there is no recreational fishing? Do you eat tuna from a can?

Every year the restrictions get tighter and tighter however SOME fish need it!! Don't think I'm saying we don't have an impact because we do but, there needs to be some middle ground with the sport fishers. In cali, there are tons of guys who have total disregard for the catch free zones (mpa), they basically made the whole coast protected so now guys are just saying screw it and hunting where they want, effectively destroying the intention and creating criminals out of guys just doing what they have always done.

In cali, there are tons of guys who have total disregard for the catch free zones (mpa), they basically made the whole coast protected so now guys are just saying screw it and hunting where they want, effectively destroying the intention and creating criminals out of guys just doing what they have always done.
In Cali you couldn't "try" to catch a GWS period, so what those guys did is illegal here. They would have been severely fined, but people still probably would have "liked" them on FB. Because so many people, similar to some posters in this thread, think because the law doesn't say no, it is okay to do. Who cares, if it hurts the shark long term right? After all it is legal at this point in time.

As to the MPA's read this: California's new no-fishing zones appear to be working, scientists say

Regarding the guys who don't care about the laws and poaching where they want and how ever much they want, well read this: CDFW Wildlife Officers Stop and Cite Channel Islands Fishermen

Here in Cali some of the biggest fines are given to poachers. The DFW is hardcore about following regulations. Because we use my boat in locations where hunters frequent, I often get searched by DFW and allow them to poke around showing I am following the rules, even though we have zero hunting equipment onboard, and are just scuba diving.

Only TRIPLE 250hp, two stroke carbureted....heh....heh......heh....., why such a small boat?

Sent from my pasture while tapa-sheeping 2

How's that? :D

How's that? :D

have you been out to thatch caye again, I swear that was one of their boats . . . LOL

Thatch Caye still up and running?

Back
Top Bottom